Getting into Freediving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fineout

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey everyone, since im here at college, i dont really have much room for all my scuba gear, and ive decided i want to do some freediving. Are there any tips on getting into it/anything i should read before i get into it. above water i know i can hold my breath for 2:15 or so. I dont have the money for any formal classes right now, so i kinda just wanna jump in and do shallow dives for now.

your at the age where most of the freediving accidents occur, so be super careful, always have someone watching you in the water. I just replied to a similar post here.. you can read that for some very, very, very basic information. Keep the urge to breath by not hyperventilating.. having the urge to breath will help keep you alive. Best thing is to find someone who is experienced in freediving to take you with them... in the water, with an experienced and knowledgeable diver, you can learn a ton. look for a knowledgeable buddy in your area over on FreeDiving, Scuba Diving, Spearfishing & Technical Diving Articles and News - DeeperBlue.com

I'm kind of in the same boat, and can hold my breath for about the same period of time. Learn pop your ears as you decent, often I can't do it once I hit 30' or so depth and the pain is intense. I do deep breaths before I hold my breath and submerge, and then swallow a few times. Practice should improve conditioning, but remember the risks and be safe. Good luck.

If you didn't sleep well, or are just physically tired, you will not be able to hold your breath very long.

One of the best things you could do that is not costly would be some reading:
Freedive.net & Terry Maas: book or video on apnea freediving, snorkeling, spearfishing

Here's a link to an important video:
"Three young freedivers blacked out within weeks of each other in two separate incidents. While they all survived, their mothers made a vow to publish their accidents so that other young freedivers might avoid this killer. Commissioned by these two mothers, Julie Richardson and Chirs Dimond, and with support from DAN, I filmed and produced this 6-minute video for You Tube. The primary goal of this spot is to alert new divers to the dangers of freediver blackout and how insidious it can be. Sheri Daye co-wrote and narrates this in-your-face video for young folks. Here is the link -- share it with a kid you love":
YouTube - Freediver Blackout
Terry Maas

If you are lucky enough to be close to Ft Lauderdale in February, here's a great event to check out. The Blue Wild Ocean Adventure Expo

Chad

good info guys..thanks as another newb, i appriciate it a lot.
I have been trying to gather all the tidbits i can to enjoy this awesome sport safely for many many years

Don't free divers frequently suffer from shallow water blackout?

No. What would make you say that? Frequently? You make it sound like we do it all the time!:depressed:

What? No, it's not meant as an insult...my friend just told me that because that's what happened to him and his brother and that's why he doesn't freedive anymore. -shrug-

No worries, I didn't take offence. I just didn't want people to get the wrong idea, you know? But yeah, freedivers don't blackout very often. Rarely, if ever, if they stick to their limits.

No worries, I didn't take offence. I just didn't want people to get the wrong idea, you know? But yeah, freedivers don't blackout very often. Rarely, if ever, if they stick to their limits.

Kind of OT, but did you see the documentary on tiger sharks during shark week? It was about a free diver and a tiger shark he befriended. It was so amazing (their relatinonship), I cried. Not even kidding. And he could hold his breath 6 minutes!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom