Getting sick underwater

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

1RUSTYRIG:
I think that I could be a hurling instructor :D

Things I found not to eat if you don't chew your food as much as you should
prime rib
7-11 burritos (they have a habit of "reforming" whole in your stomach)
corn dogs
peas (they're a real b!tch when one gets stuck in your nasal passages at 60')
Hot sauce (mouth on fire and nothing but a sea of salt water :D )

Wow...thanks guys...If i ever get sick I'll know what to do...I'm more grossed out sitting here (still reading this and wondering why) that i have been in a while! :|

cnctina:
Regulator techs could build regulators to be O2 clean and Chunk Clean. Scubadiving magazine could add hurling to the regulator rating.

[Walking into dive shop]
Customer: Hi, I would like sign up for the class to get a Vomit Card? I was told I would need this for any liveaboard trip.

[Five seconds of stunned silence by LDS staff]

LDS Owner(recovering): Yeah, sure, that's uh... 250, wait, no 350 dollars. Sign this release here. Come tuesday, bring your own castor oil. We also teach WarHammer and Advanced WarHammer. We provide the tacos.

:D

*Floater*:
I use rental regs. Do you guys hurl into those too?

Only as often as we pee in rental wet suits . . .

xiSkiGuy:
Only as often as we pee in rental wet suits . . .

hahah,eeewwww!

chugmeister:
Whats up with all the underwater chunk blowing? Personally/Luckily I have never had the need. (Knocking on wood as I leave for Coz in 11 days) Then again I never throw up during a weekend bender either. What seems to be the main cause?

- Too much drinking
- Bad food
- Drank the water
- other?

Guess I would go the octopus route.

For me, seasickness. I never drink before a dive, and I know myself, so I tend to go with foods that won't make things worse, so I'll carb load on bland stuff. I dive Monterey, so no tainted stuff, but we get some fierce swell days that are still diveable, so even being in the water column can be a little rough. Of course, we have hardy marine life and no coral except hydrocoral, which I don't sit on, so my cure all is to dump all my air and sit on the bottom with my eyes closed until I feel better, which usually doesn't take long.

Generally, once I'm under the water, the seasickness dissipates, but sometimes I carry that sickness with me into the water and will feel nasty and may puke through the reg on the descent until I get the chance to sit. Like I said, if I'm sick on the surface, I may use my reg to avoid getting salt splash in my mouth. Classes can be rough on me because you often have to hang at the surface waiting for other people. Fortunately my instructor was kind for both OW and AOW and would leave me sitting on the bottom to be the last one to do skills, so if we were off a boat, once I came up, we could head off.

On one dive off McAbee, I was diving too soon after a head cold, and my ears were screwy. It was a little surgy midway through the dive, and I started retching at 30-35'. It was still very early in my diving, but didn't freak me out. I had no trouble breathing while it was going on, and finally just ended the dive because I wasn't having fun anymore and I was shore diving so ending the dive didn't mean being back on a boat. I don't purge while I'm puking though. It seems like that has some reverse chunk risk that I don't like. I may purge before my next breath if I have a pause, but puke, gasp with no purge has never gotten me backwash, not with rentals, not with mine.

Haven't puked through my reg in a while though. Choked through it last weekend, but the last time I was sick enough to actually puke, I was ab diving, thus no reg.

LuvWarmH2O:
Seriously, thanks for starting this thread.

If you are spewing into your reg and need to take an inhalation, does purging the reg right before inhalation help? On my last dive I felt queasy and held it for a safety stop and everything. Once on the surface, I hearled like crazy. Thankfully, I have not had to heave underwater, but I am curious about the process. I was not taught anything about this in open water certification. What do you do when you are 80' down and need to heave?
The idea is that you will not have time to nicely purge your reg. You are going to inhale instinctivly.

My students think i look so cool on the boat on the way out to a dive site b/c i'm moving around, talking , joking, looking like the confident sea goddess that i am....little do they know it's to help the sea sickness meds by keeping the horizon in my peripheral vision ;-)

i have found that doritos right before a dive doesn't do good things for any part of me...but the fish seem to like it!! :-D

cnctina:
Did you all take a padi class on hurling through regulators. You all seem to be advanced regulator heavers. You could get a Chunk Blowing Certificate.

Yeah, and the class was only $150.00 :35::35::35::35::35::35::35::35::35:

I tend to just use my main reg then purge/clean it after (while under). IF its really gunky i switch to octo and unscrew the reg to give it a good clean inside.

I coughed through mine in Coz, and I felt queasy on one dive in Florida when the sea was pretty rough. My thought was, "If I'm going to blow chunks, they are going to have to pass through my reg, because I'm damn sure not taking it out!" LOL Fortunately, the dive ended before I progressed to the Technicolor Yawn phase. Chunk Blowing Cert? Sign me up!! :D

Back
Top Bottom