Getting started "on the cheap"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Interesting, around here "steamer" typically means any full one piece wet suit 7mm or thicker. In my post, I meant any 7mm full suit, which many/most people find warm enough for at least a couple short dives in mid 50s water temps. Around here most folks (who dive wet) wear 7mm suits even down into the low 40s, though they are obviously cold post-dive.

So here's what I'm talkin'bout. The black compass is a Scubapro LS1 probably the finest diving compass ever made. The buy now price on EBay is around $20.00

The second compass in a new compass the buy now on EBay is $114.00. Now one can spend $114.00 and brag about having a new compass. Or spend $20.00 and get a working compass that is second to none.

One example of diving on the cheap. You just have to know what you're looking at.

True, but with all due respect, it misses the point of the OP, which is not "diving on the cheap." The item is now gone; I assume it was used. Buying "NEW gear" (the OP's words) implies buying in the ordinary course from a vendor, not a one-shot auction item. More important, "Getting started 'on the cheap'," the title and point of this thread, implies that a diver is just getting started in buying equipment. That is, the would-be buyer is a novice, and novices don't know what to look for. That's why they buy new.

That's why this thread is so valuable to us novice equipment buyers who want to get started--on the cheap.

True, but with all due respect, it misses the point of the OP, which is not "diving on the cheap." The item is now gone; I assume it was used. Buying "NEW gear" (the OP's words) implies buying in the ordinary course from a vendor, not a one-shot auction item. More important, "Getting started 'on the cheap'," the title and point of this thread, implies that a diver is just getting started in buying equipment. That is, the would-be buyer is a novice, and novices don't know what to look for. That's why they buy new.

That's why this thread is so valuable to us novice equipment buyers who want to get started--on the cheap.
Ricky,

Right now the Pinnacles in Santa Rosa has new Mendocino brand one piece 7mm wetsuits on sale for $209.
Add a hooded vest for another $95 - $100, booties, gloves, for probably another $100 average for both, and you have your exposure protection starting kit covered. This would allow you to get wet at the breakwater and go out and play with the sea lions and do any other moderate shore/boat dive in our area.
It may not be as warm as a drysuit, but you do build a tolerance to cold and it's a hell of a lot cheaper, and it will still allow you to get in. It's better than sitting on shore. If you get the money later for a drysuit you can still use the wetsuit for abalone diving on the North Coast if you are so inclined.
Or just hang on to it as a backup, or if you ever get down to Southern California the water is usually 10 degrees warmer or more and wetsuits are perfect.

If you want a plate I can help you out there. I have a few standard Freedom Plates available at my Socal dealer that I'm clearing out cheap. I can have one shipped back. You will need to come up with a wing though. I also have a buddy who is willing to sell a Dive Rite plate that he isn't using if you want a doubles style plate.
I also have some fins I could part with, Mares Quattro's with bungee straps. They are perfectly good fins but I use Jets so they are just sitting around.

If you are interested in any of this stuff PM me here and I will give you another email to go to and we can talk.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom