Getting through Rough Surf?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubasean:
Perhaps you missed where others advocate leaving the reg out during surf entry...

:banana:
No, I saw that.

I just want to make sure you know that I was kidding you. That's why all the smilie action. :D

But I figure that the dancing banana means you know I was kidding.

Cheers!

Christian

I skip checking the website for a few days and miss all the scintillating back & forth about whether or not to keep a reg in your mouth on surf entries! Who knew it ws going to be so controversial? Melvin -- never dove with you (yet), but thanks for defending my post!

It's possible that the "embolize under a wave" story could be urban myth, although I heard it from an instructor with 25 years of experience who was a commercial diver. Ditto for the story about a commercial diver in training that bent over at depth to pick up a heavy pipe, held his breath as stood up, embolized and died. As for the "inhale and keep your airway open"comment... it seems to me that would take more calm, rational thought than is possible in a panicked moment. Net net: the risk from embolizing under a wave is likely small and the debate is probably one of the "how many angels on the head of a pin" variety.

The really important point is to have your BC deflated; you've got be be able to get under a wave, where the energy is smallest. Having your BC inflated is like trying to dive under a wave wearing an inflated inner tube. As the elder Bush said it, "Not Gonna Happen." Just to be fair to the democrats out there, I asked Theresa Heinz and her comment was "anyone who doesn't agree with MyDiveLog is an Idiot!"

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom