Getting warm?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

*Floater*:
and if you start getting cold, then you should swim faster, do a few circles or other exercise to warm up
I disagree.
Swimming around causes more blood to flow to the extremities, meaning more blood gets cooled faster, which in turn brings colder blood back to your vital organs lowering your core temperature.
You may feel warmer initially but you won't be in the long run...

The only option is adequate exposure protection.

On our boat charters, they have boat jackets which they let us warmer-blooded (read: blue-lipped, shivering between dives) divers wear on our SI's. They are really exposure jackets for the crew, the kind that float and keep you warm if you fell overboard. They are very warm, and they worked for me last fall when I was diving in 51 degree water with 60 degree air temps and windy conditions. That, and staying out of the wind helps, along with wearing a hat, scarf and/or hood and mitts, if necessary. Last weekend I was wearing my 7/5mm fullsuit with a fleece sweater under it to keep the water from moving around too much. Turns out I lost some weight this summer and my wetsuit doesn't fit so well anymore...
I bought a drysuit last fall when I got tired of shivering, and I'm getting back in it this weekend, even though the water temps are still 68-70. I recommend you buy one soon, 'cause you're not going to get any more comfortable. Even if you just buy a second hand one now, you can continue to save for a better suit, but stay comfortable (and keep diving) in the meantime. There's nothing worse than having to cancel or cut short your subsequent dives because you've gotten too cold on the SI.

I was watching people donning thier dry suits this weekend. They don't look very fun to put on or very comfy. Somebody mentioned feeling like a vacuum-packed piece of tuna in one and that looked about right to me. Also I have a rather odd figure so I am worried about getting one that fits. Suggestions?

It doesn't matter TOO much how they fit. They shouldn't be too tight or you won't be able to fit your drysuit undies underneath,and your mobility will be affected. It also depends on what type of suit you get. I have a 7mm neoprene suit that apparently keeps you warmer than some, but I still had to wear 3 layers of fleece on top & polypro undies & 1 layer of fleece on the bottom, plus fleece or wool socks. My newest suit is a bilam, and to go with it I have a nice set of DC TPS Extreme undies -- I'll have to get back to you on whether that's warm enough since I'm having the seals on the suit replaced. If you feel like you're vacuum packed, then you need to add more air to the suit. It takes some practice to get it right. And getting a drysuit on is not really fun; some describe it as being 'born' again. That's if you have a neoprene neck seal. If you get yourself a self-donning suit with latex seals, you won't have that problem. And, being 'dry' after a dive is great!

Azza:
I disagree.
Swimming around causes more blood to flow to the extremities, meaning more blood gets cooled faster, which in turn brings colder blood back to your vital organs lowering your core temperature.
You may feel warmer initially but you won't be in the long run...

The only option is adequate exposure protection.

Well, more exposure protection is better, but if for some reason you don't have it and start to become cold, then I think it's best to increase your activity level in order to generate more heat. You will lose heat fasters as well, so if you are already in hypothermia and at risk of dying before you can make it to safety, then I would agree with you that it's best to avoid swimming, and instead sacrifice the fingers and toes first before the organs.

Exercise is what we used to stay warm when I did my military service in the Finnish winter, so I can attest to its effectiveness when used properly.

I'm smart enough to get out of the water before I am in danger of losing toes. The last time I had hypothermia was because I was at the bottom of a lake in 50F water in a large OW class and had to wait forever to do my skills with the instructor. I signalled them repeatedly that I was cold but they made me stay put. When we surfaced they realized I was blue and purple and made me sit in the truck for the rest of the day and I didn't finish my training until two months later. At the time I was more cross about being put in the truck than about being made to stay underwater when I was cold.

i sometimes get cold with a 3ml wetsuit in sunny phillippines, i can imagine what you are going through, you might want to don a drusuit with thinsulate inners

*Floater*:
Well, more exposure protection is better, but if for some reason you don't have it and start to become cold, then I think it's best to increase your activity level in order to generate more heat. You will lose heat fasters as well, so if you are already in hypothermia and at risk of dying before you can make it to safety, then I would agree with you that it's best to avoid swimming, and instead sacrifice the fingers and toes first before the organs.

Exercise is what we used to stay warm when I did my military service in the Finnish winter, so I can attest to its effectiveness when used properly.
Sure, I used exercise in my Army Days to stay warm in a non-tactical environment as well. However in a Tactical environment it wasnt always possible. We used proper exposure protection instead.
However water conducts heat away from the body 20 times faster than air.

If you truly want to dive in the NE and you get cold a dry suit is the only way to go. As far as worrying about fit go to your local LDS and have them measure you for a suit. If neccessary you can get a custom cut suit. I have one. They are not great to get into but you get used to and when diving in 42 degree water there is nothing better. The reccommendation about the parka is great too. I have a Tru-West and it is the warmest jacket I have ever owned.

Back
Top Bottom