Giant squid and cachalots.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Amanda,

Along witht he other info about giant squid I remember some articles in a dive magazine about 2 years ago on the Giant Humboldt squid found in the Sea of Cortez. You might want to do a search on info on it as well.

lanun once bubbled...
now i understand the connection in amanda's q's. familiar with the name sperm whale, but not cachalot (play on words for catch a lot ?).
Nothing that interesting, alas. "Cachalot" is derived from Spanish and/or Portugese for "big head" a fairly good description of a sperm whale.

Incidentally - the term "Cachalot" is the current French usage AND the older English usage, so it's not surprising that Amanda used the term. I came across the term in translations of Verne, Poe and others of that era.

For you literary buffs, the whale in Moby Dick was a (white) cachalot :)

Check out information on the Humboldt Squid via the internet...there is tons of information ranging from close encounters to actual research trips and expeditions.

Scuba Jim once bubbled...
guy in charge of Enron a cachalot (cash-a-lot)?

Especially appropriate since Cachalot is from "big head". The guy was head of the comapny, thought he was big time, but really just had a big head.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom