Gilboa accident 5/29

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MikeFerrara

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I read on another board that 2 divers were taken from Gilboa by ambulance over the weekend...one by air and the other by land.

Any one know anything?

I didn't know of anything of the sort and I was there yesterday. I know that on our last dive, we went into the water and the weather was beautiful. When we came up 42 minutes later it was thunder and lightning time. I got soaked changing out of my drysuit near the car due to downpour.

I wonder if somebody got caught coming out in that.

Some one who was there on Sat. when it happened posted on TDS but other than hearing that there was a free flow didn't know what happened.

Detroit diver was there when it happened so maybe he'll come over here and post about it.

It sounds like there may have been one last weekend also.

The incident happened around 1pm or so.

Two divers on single tanks at around 100 ffw. One had a reg freeflow and grabbed his buddie's reg (not sure if primary or "octo"). Then they both took the express elevator to the surface. When pulled up onto the dock, the worse of the two was communicating and conscious, but certainly NOT in good shape. The other looked much better, but the paramedics must have decided that he needed a chopper flight also, as both were taken out by that means.

The freelflow diver NEVER ran out of air, as it was bubbling at the surface.

Folks, a freeflow is NOT a life threatening event if you train for it. There is no reason that these two should have bolted to the surface and injured themselves.

Do yourselves a favor, and get in a pool (or wherever) and practice for this event. It should be a routine skill for you so that you don't wind up like these two guys. I shake my head because this was a senseless accident that EASILY could have been avoided. If you're not comfortable when you practice this skill, then get some further instruction.

I repeat, this type of event should NOT be a life threatening experience.

I split the posts concerning the accident od 5/23 to their own thread.

detroit diver:
The incident happened around 1pm or so.

Two divers on single tanks at around 100 ffw. One had a reg freeflow and grabbed his buddie's reg (not sure if primary or "octo"). Then they both took the express elevator to the surface. When pulled up onto the dock, the worse of the two was communicating and conscious, but certainly NOT in good shape. The other looked much better, but the paramedics must have decided that he needed a chopper flight also, as both were taken out by that means.

The freelflow diver NEVER ran out of air, as it was bubbling at the surface.

Folks, a freeflow is NOT a life threatening event if you train for it. There is no reason that these two should have bolted to the surface and injured themselves.

Do yourselves a favor, and get in a pool (or wherever) and practice for this event. It should be a routine skill for you so that you don't wind up like these two guys. I shake my head because this was a senseless accident that EASILY could have been avoided. If you're not comfortable when you practice this skill, then get some further instruction.

I repeat, this type of event should NOT be a life threatening experience.

Very well said DD

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom