Vessel Overnight boat sunk, two still missing - Thailand

This Thread Prefix is for incidents related to one or more vessels from kayaks to ships.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
This article says 18 tourists were aboard, all but two saved, then says one of the missing was a cook on the boat. Another version claims 14 aboard, 12 saved, two still missing - one Thai national and the other identified as a foreign tourist.

Strong winds knocked over a scuba-diving boat off the coast of Phang Nga province at around 11pm on Friday. Two tourists were still missing as of press time.

The Thai Maritime Office Centre reported on Saturday that the boat called “Sawan Tour” had picked up 18 tourists from Thap Lamu Pier and sank near Ko Torinla island. The island is part of the Surin Islands National Park – an archipelago of five islands in the Andaman Sea some 55 kilometres from the mainland.

Of the 18 passengers on board, 16 have been rescued and taken to Khura Buri Pier near the area. However, two – a cook on the boat and a British tourist – are still missing.

Officials said a search operation has been launched using inflatable boats and a helicopter. They believe the two may have been swept up to 111km away from the accident site by strong currents.

The other version...

The boat that sunk was the Reggae Queen snorkeling liveaboard. On the website it has this description: The MV Reggae Queen has all the safety features you would expect on board, including life jackets, lift raft, marine radios, fire extinguishers and first aid facilities.
Let's hope & pray, that if they didn't drown in the initial wild sea conditions, that they have lifejackets and can survive. It's been 24 hours, so hope they can get some rain before dehydration starts kicking in.

Screenshot_20231224_104821_Samsung Internet.jpg

The humidity levels are in the 70% range. And it's cloudy and overcast, so may help protect from the sun. Some rain forecast for later in the day. If they're still floating, there still might be some hope of survival.

I was searching for some news about the incident, when I realised that there's been 3 boats sunk or capsized in Thailand, in the last 2-3 days, mostly carrying foreign tourists.

For anyone taking any boat trips or holidays there at the moment, stay vigilant and be prepared in the case of unexpected events.

I was searching for some news about the incident, when I realised that there's been 3 boats sunk or capsized in Thailand, in the last 2-3 days, mostly carrying foreign tourists.

For anyone taking any boat trips or holidays there at the moment, stay vigilant and be prepared in the case of unexpected events.
Maybe use some common sense and don't board small craft when 3-4 meter waves are forecast (in the Gulf Of Thailand) this Christmas week.

This is not that small for a diving boat and 3-4 meters is not that huge to cancel trips.

3-4 is borderline for large if you are not a cruise ship but if you cancel many many trips will not be done

Maybe use some common sense and don't board small craft when 3-4 meter waves are forecast (in the Gulf Of Thailand) this Christmas week.

On the same day at 11:30 a.m., national park officials in Ao Phang Nga reported another boat accident involving the longtail boat “Mook Ka Mee Na”. The boat with four Russian tourists and a Thai guide on board capsized near the Thalu cliff due to strong winds. All five people were safely rescued by park officials.

The third incident occurred in the evening of the same day and involved the “diving tour boat “Nortika”. Three tourists got into trouble when water entered the boat while they were navigating in the waters west of Koh Kaeo, Phuket. Marine Division 3 sent the vessel to assist and reached the distressed tourists at 18:00. The tourists were then safely returned to the deep water port in Phuket.

There were actually more 2 incidents with boats carrying foreign tourists and capsizing on the Andaman Sea side of Thailand 1-2 days ago. So that's 6 boats in Thailand capsized or had to be rescued in 2-3 days, carrying mostly foreign tourists.

This is unreal, I've never heard anything like this before!

3-4 is borderline for large if you are not a cruise ship but if you cancel many many trips will not be done
The Thai marine authorities have issued small craft advisories for the Gulf over the next few days because of the waves.

Back
Top Bottom