Gilboa Again!!?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jackpotdt once bubbled...
Thank you to all of you for your concern, and to those who seem to know more about the incident that I do. PLEASE GET YOUR FACTS STRAIGHT.

It was my error and mine alone.

First - I'm glad you're back among the living, obviously thanks to the many rescuers who helped you!

Second - please if you can, let us know what happened. It is people's nature to speculate and they (we) will most likely continue to do so until someone who actually knows what happened (i.e. you) gets the facts straight for us. By letting us know what your mistake(s) were, you will hopefully help others to not make them again.

jackpotdt once bubbled...
This is the diver in question from Gilboa. Thank you to all of you for your concern, and to those who seem to know more about the incident that I do. PLEASE GET YOUR FACTS STRAIGHT. THIS IS HOW RUMORS GET STARTED AND RUIN PEOPLE AND BUSINESSES.

I am very glad you are here, and I do hope you have a full and complete recovery.

On the subject of the speculation on this discussion board....

Nature abhors a vacuum. This is true in almost all things, including information. When a vacuum exists, it is only natural to fill it. In this case it is being filled with erroneous information, but it is being filled. Nature is taking its course. In order to ensure that a correct and true account of what happened is discussed, I would ask only that you help us understand. In doing so, you contribute on a world wide scale to safer diving, as this discussion board is global in its nature and reach.

Hi jackpotdt glad you're ok. As an instructor injuries and deaths in scuba bother me especially when they happen during training. It's kind of my job to try to understand what can go wrong and avoig it for the sake of my own students. I guess I take it uppon myself to pass what I think on to others for the same reason.

I was told that you were taking part in an advanced OW class. I don't know what agency your instructor is with but It is an outright violation of PADI standards to take an AOW student to 110 ft. It's also up to the instructor to ensure he can prevent the class from reaching depths beyond the limits of the training. Many would question the judgment of an instructor who takes an AOW class on a dive where the bottom is 20+ feet beyond those limits. If a student does get deeper and especially if they get hurt one might also question the instructors ability in addition to their judgment.

I have seen many AOW classes on the deep side of Gilboa. They scare the hell out of me. In fact I won't get in the water while they are going on. I hope you are going to discuss some of this with your instructor.

I know you have details about your accident that I won't ever have. However I'll bet the accident was a surprise to you while I expect it during AOW classes that are held on the deep side. The reason that I expect accidents like this and you don't is because of things I've seen and know that you don't. There have been quit a few accidents there very similar to yours. I think you should try to understand why. You may have made mistakes. Mistakes during training are common and to be expected. But it is the responsibility of the instructor to see to it that your mistakes don't put you in danger during a class. That is the reason for training and the reason for the existance of instructors.

The instructor has several chances to get a handle on things. For instance assessing the students abilities to perform the planned dive. also in how and where the dive is conducted in order to facilitate control.

I'm sorry if my opinion offends you but much of what I write on this board is my humble effort to contribute to the prevention of accidents like yours.

I'm sorry if my opinion offends you but much of what I write on this board is my humble effort to contribute to the prevention of accidents like yours. [/B][/QUOTE]

Mike, I don't think your opinion offends anyone. It just makes professionals like me wonder what a scuba god like you would do in a situation that you couldn't control. As I said before, we were all new in all aspects in our highest level of training. I too am an instructor and have had the luck and satisfaction of never having a student get hurt. I instruct 75 + students a year. How many do you do? I have however had students panick and try to bolt for the surface. Some of them I can control and some of them I can't. I do not let students in an uncontrolled environment unless I feel they are ready. Now if that means giving them extra pool sessions to get past their problems for free, then so be it. It has been like that since day one. Still, with the numbers I do, something is going to happen eventually. Even with the students that perform above standards in the pool. The fact of the matter is, that no matter how ready you think your students are, there is always a chance that something is going to go wrong.

I'm happy that you have never had a problem, and I hope you never do, because that would make you even more humble. You better open up your eyes and get real, because if you think that just because you are the great instructor you think you are (and I'm not saying you're not), that nothing will ever happen to one of your students, then you got another thing coming. Eventually if you do this long enough, something is going to happen whether it is during training or after.

You stated before that you would quit diving if you thought that anything could happen at any time. I'd get out of the water now pal, cuz it can. I've seen it with the best and with the worst. The sooner you realize that anything can happen at any time regardless of how good the instruction, the better the instructor you become.

As far as being scared of AOW classes, you should be. We all are. But you know what? To stay out of the water because they are there is nothing to me but a cop out and cowardly. Again, as I stated before we were all new at one point. Except for you because you must be the excption to the rule. I think if you are as good as you say you are then you need to be there helping when things do go wrong. I know I would be. I have assisted in a few rescues that were not involved with my group because I was there and had the confidence to know that if something does go wrong (which it will) I can handle it (which I did). Another fact... You don't find out how good you really are until a problem arises. Until then, you really don't know.

Now, please don't take offense to anything I say. This is just my opinion and I don't know you from Adam. I am just responding with my opinion like many others. I think much of what you say is right on the mark, but I also think you are dilusioned in other things you say. But I do know that just from talking to many other instructors in my life, most share my opinion rather than yours. So don't be over confindent. Be ready to handle anything that can happen. If you think it can't happen to you or your students, think again. Just be ready man.

As far as PADI standards go, they have some of the best instructinal material out there. But you know what. It's really not the organization. It's the instructor. I've known some pretty horrible PADI instructors and some pretty great PADI instructors. I've learned that it doesn't matter what organization you teach through, because they all teach the same thing pretty much the same way with some minor differences.

Safe diving.

uthinkuno once bubbled...

As far as being scared of AOW classes, you should be. We all are. But you know what? To stay out of the water because they are there is nothing to me but a cop out and cowardly. Again, as I stated before we were all new at one point. Except for you because you must be the excption to the rule. I think if you are as good as you say you are then you need to be there helping when things do go wrong. I know I would be.

I think part of mike's problem lies in this....

You are the instructor of an AOW class at a quarry that has a max depth of 130'. Now this is an old roack quarry and you have two options to get the student to 80'.

One is the "shallow" side where there is a wall that runs from about 20' down to 90, then makes a turn down to the deep side....all depths on the shallow side are around 40' until you get to the west side of the wall where it starts to drop to 90'.

Option 2 is drop right in on the deep side which has no wall or point of reference (other than a ladder) or bottom until you hit at least 110'. To dive on this side of the wall you must fill out a profile, and you must have specific gear b/c it is cold and deep.

The problem is....most instructors take the students on the deep side where "fit can hit the Shan" Why would you take your students somewhere they can get hurt. No one seems to learn from this...most of all the instructors that consistently take students over there week after week, and incidents occur. Would you take your students over there?

uthinkuno once bubbled...

Mike, I don't think your opinion offends anyone. It just makes professionals like me wonder what a scuba god like you would do in a situation that you couldn't control. As I said before, we were all new in all aspects in our highest level of training. I too am an instructor and have had the luck and satisfaction of never having a student get hurt. I instruct 75 + students a year. How many do you do? I have however had students panick and try to bolt for the surface. Some of them I can control and some of them I can't. I do not let students in an uncontrolled environment unless I feel they are ready. Now if that means giving them extra pool sessions to get past their problems for free, then so be it. It has been like that since day one. Still, with the numbers I do, something is going to happen eventually. Even with the students that perform above standards in the pool. The fact of the matter is, that no matter how ready you think your students are, there is always a chance that something is going to go wrong.

Well, I'm not a scuba god and I try to know my limits which is the reason mony of my methods and decissions. As far as the number of students I teach in a year...I have done over 100 in a single year. Last year was down because business stunk and this year will be down because I'm closing the shop I own. I teach up to Advanced nitrox and assist in tech classes to 170 so I'm no stranger to teaching at those depths.

My first experience with a panicked totally out of control diver was at 65 feet when I was a divemaster candidate. the diver was on their first post cert dive, lost control, sunk and panicked. My second was also as a DM candidate with another diver on their first post cert dive at 75 ft in the gilf of Mexico.

Those two near misses did a lot to form my opinions about dive training. I know what went wrong with these two students and I try not to make the mistakes that instructor did.
I'm happy that you have never had a problem, and I hope you never do, because that would make you even more humble. You better open up your eyes and get real, because if you think that just because you are the great instructor you think you are (and I'm not saying you're not), that nothing will ever happen to one of your students, then you got another thing coming. Eventually if you do this long enough, something is going to happen whether it is during training or after.

In addition to the students I mentioned above. I have only had two of my own students out of several hundred (not sure exactly how many) panick and bolt. The first was a student in a rescue class that messes up air sharing swallowed some water and bolted. While I wasn't able to get the student to accept a reg I was able to control her ascent rate.

The secont was an OW student who got some water in her nose when replacing her mask and bolted. She was very strong and not only spit out her reg but knocked my reg out as well. However I was able to control her ascent rate because of the line I had put in place for that purpose (just in case).

Since I believed what I had been tought as a new instructor and tought the way I was tought to teach, I think it's nothing short of a miracle that none of my early students were hurt. I don't in fact trust the standards and the length of time I can spend with the average student to properly prepare them. that's one of the reasons our shop closes next month. Great instructor? No, but getting better.
You stated before that you would quit diving if you thought that anything could happen at any time. I'd get out of the water now pal, cuz it can. I've seen it with the best and with the worst. The sooner you realize that anything can happen at any time regardless of how good the instruction, the better the instructor you become.

Things can go wrong on a dive. However if we don't believe we can manage them we're not prepared for the diver we're doing. Aside from teaching I'm no stranger to less than perfect dives including 1/4 mile back in a cave. I wasn't good enough to prevent that one but I was prepared enough to manage it. It was cause for thought though.
As far as being scared of AOW classes, you should be. We all are. But you know what? To stay out of the water because they are there is nothing to me but a cop out and cowardly. Again, as I stated before we were all new at one point. Except for you because you must be the excption to the rule. I think if you are as good as you say you are then you need to be there helping when things do go wrong. I know I would be. I have assisted in a few rescues that were not involved with my group because I was there and had the confidence to know that if something does go wrong (which it will) I can handle it (which I did). Another fact... You don't find out how good you really are until a problem arises. Until then, you really don't know.

As stated before I have assisted divers in trouble and several times it was some one elses students. I'm not an exception to any rule. Certainly if I am present and can help I would. However I am often with students and if I can avoid it I won't allow the judgment of another instructor put my student at additional risk as they would be if I got busy rescueing some one elses. That's why if there is an advanced class on the deep side of Gilboa I won't go in the water. Bravery isn't the issue. My resposibility to my students is the issue. Of course there is also the fact that much of what goes on in training (and I've seen lots of it on the deep side of Gilboa) causes me personal worry. I can't control it so I try to avoid it.

BTW, I don't take students there except during Advanced Nitrox classes. They are in doubles and have spent quit a few hours drilling in shallow water. One of them might still panick but they are at this point far far more skilled than the average AOW student (or for that matter the average recreational diver). I did have one advanced nitrox student have a free flow down there at about 115 ft. He was a little nervous and fumbled a bit shutting down that post so he calmly asked me to help. Throughout his depth only verried by a few inches. We still did a bunch more valve shut down work before he got a card though. I dived with him week before last. His valve work has slowed down again. We're planning a cave diving trip next month and he'll need to get his skills back in shape before I go in a cave with him. Do you see the difference?
Now, please don't take offense to anything I say. This is just my opinion and I don't know you from Adam. I am just responding with my opinion like many others. I think much of what you say is right on the mark, but I also think you are dilusioned in other things you say. But I do know that just from talking to many other instructors in my life, most share my opinion rather than yours. So don't be over confindent. Be ready to handle anything that can happen. If you think it can't happen to you or your students, think again. Just be ready man.

I'm not offended in the least. I'm anything but over confident. In fact, I'm a bit paranoid and I'm convinced that if I continue to teach under the financial and market burdens (students in a hurry) of the recreational dive industry some one will get hurt.
As far as PADI standards go, they have some of the best instructinal material out there. But you know what. It's really not the organization. It's the instructor. I've known some pretty horrible PADI instructors and some pretty great PADI instructors. I've learned that it doesn't matter what organization you teach through, because they all teach the same thing pretty much the same way with some minor differences.

Safe diving.

The PADI books are much nicer than some others. I don't understand doing deep dives without teaching any meaningful gas management. I don't understand how the agency can allow an instructor to teach at 100 ft when they can become an instructor with only one dive below 60 ft and zero teaching experience at that 100ft. I also don't understand standards that allow a student to go from kneeling on a platform on OW dive 4 to a 100 ft dive on their very next dive. The intent of the standards while not perfect aren't too bad but the agencies do little that I see to make sure instructors are in compliance with the intent of the standards at a minimum.

Thanks for offering your opinion.

[/B][/QUOTE]I do not let students in an uncontrolled environment unless I feel they are ready.[/B]][/QUOTE]

The problem is too many instructors do permit their students to be put in an uncontrolled environment. It's all about the number of certifications and how quickly they can climb the PADI or whatever organization ladder.

[/B][/QUOTE]
Still, with the numbers I do, something is going to happen eventually[/B][/QUOTE]

Why subject anyone to it needlessly? Listen to what Mike is saying. Don't take the class over the wall. Don't take the student there unless they can perform in the shallow. Do people think that skills are harder at depth? That is BS. Shallow is tougher since you have to deal with greater changes in buoyancy. Learn the skills shallow, and I don't mean just squeek by. When you are comfortable, competent and confident, then maybe you start extending your limits. Until then, it is a crap shoot.

[/B][/QUOTE]
As far as being scared of AOW classes, you should be. We all are. But you know what? To stay out of the water because they are there is nothing to me but a cop out and cowardly[/B][/QUOTE]

"You should be scared" is an indication that there is a problem in this industry. I have passed three idiots in the sump at Gilboa in wetsuits, a single 80 and no lights. They were practically walking on the bottom. Three of us diving 21/35 with all the appropriate gear were crusing by and decided to get the heck out of their immediately. We also reported it to Mike at Gilboa. Mike was none to please with these idiots. Should I have stopped and risked myself or my team to get these jerks out of there? They were not in distress at the time. They very well could have later, but they were not my responsibility. My team was my responsibility. Had something actually happened in front of me, then I would have stepped in.

[/B][/QUOTE] Again, as I stated before we were all new at one point. Except for you because you must be the excption to the rule. I think if you are as good as you say you are then you need to be there helping when things do go wrong. I know I would be.
[/B][/QUOTE]

I don't think Mike is saying he would not help someone in distress. He just isn't going to put his class in harms way by trying to rescue someone who should not be there. His class comes first when he is in the water. Going in when no other AOW class is near him helps ensure that he keeps his class in a controlled environment.

[/B][/QUOTE]
Another fact... You don't find out how good you really are until a problem arises. Until then, you really don't know[/B][/QUOTE]

True, but you do drills and practice to help make sure you can perform during stress. To actually try and make the drill real instead of a simulation is downright irresponsible and dangerous.

[/B][/QUOTE]
I also think you are dilusioned in other things you say. But I do know that just from talking to many other instructors in my life, most share my opinion rather than yours[/B][/QUOTE]

And there is where the problem lies. I think Mike is being realistic and apparently cares enough about diver safety to make some people mad in his delivery. I haven't seen Mike's students in action, but I have witnessed several instructors as a DM who go beyond the minimum requirements and there classes are much tougher. There students are better prepared. These instructors do not put their students in uncontrolled situations. They do get the students buoyancy and trim under control from day one in the pool. It isn't that hard. Too many instructors don't give students enough credit and push them to be better right from the start.

[/B][/QUOTE]
As far as PADI standards go, they have some of the best instructinal material out there.
[/B][/QUOTE]

Pretty pictures in a book with less than ideal text is not my idea of good material. I would have to disagree on some things they teach. Fin Pivots are worthless, period. Rotating 360 degrees while ascending is a good way to lose you buddy. Buddy breathing should be mandatory and not optional. Taking ones rig off under water is a disaster waiting to happen.

[/B][/QUOTE]
But you know what. It's really not the organization. It's the instructor. I've known some pretty horrible PADI instructors and some pretty great PADI instructors. I've learned that it doesn't matter what organization you teach through, because they all teach the same thing pretty much the same way with some minor differences. [/B][/QUOTE]

True, but how can an organization permit horrible instructors. What the organizations need is recertification of all instructors throughout their career. I have seen instructors who don't know the difference between buddy breathing and alternate air sharing. I have seen instructors think that breathing one's own AirII is an alternate air source. That is absolutely rediculous. I see instructors who are only out to get numbers and move up the ladder. I know one instructor that did at least nine dives with more than one class in one day at Gilboa. I have heard instructors say, hurry up, I need to be out of hear by whatever time. Instructors, you are on the students clock during the class, not your own. They paid for the class and you need to deliver the full service, not what is convienient for you.

The industry really needs to bring up the quality of it's instruction. It is readily apparent from all the complaints that dive instruction is severly lacking. I realize that many think some people only want to look at the fishies, but that thinking is the real copout in my mind. Some instructors need to take greater pride in their instruction as well as divers in their diving abilities.

I would love to hear what really happened down there. Perhaps we can all learn a little from your experience instead of guessing what happened?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom