Gilboa deep side requirements...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PvtStash

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
to my understanding they are...

1. Advanced certification

2. redundant gas system

3. some sort of aftermarket free-flow control device thats added to your 2nd stage. I hear this is required EVEN IF you already have an enviromentally sealed cold water reg.

Is this correct? are there additional requirements?

to my understanding they are...

1. Advanced certification

2. redundant gas system

3. some sort of aftermarket free-flow control device thats added to your 2nd stage. I hear this is required EVEN IF you already have an enviromentally sealed cold water reg.

Is this correct? are there additional requirements?

#3 is new to me. I've never been required to have a free flow device on the deep side.

Mike may even question your advanced cert (wanting a deep cert). His shop his rules.

I've got to ask - with 25-49 dives why go over there? It's dark, COLD, and really nothing to see. The only time I've dove there is for training. It's not worth it for a fun dive. Stay on the shallow side. You can hit about 95' if you keep going past the tubes staying on the road and the dives will be more enjoyable.

Don't get hung up on rules they tend to ruin the experience. just dive within your range

It's dark, COLD, and really nothing to see. The only time I've dove there is for training. It's not worth it for a fun dive.

say the same about Quarry diving in general eh?

"worth" and "fun" are person-specific ... , tho' it is nice to know you can get almost 100' w/o jumping through the house hoops.

say the same about Quarry diving in general eh?

"worth" and "fun" are person-specific ... , tho' it is nice to know you can get almost 100' w/o jumping through the house hoops.

It's also good to know that several accidents and deaths have occurred at Gilboa becuase people without the experience to dive the deep side there have pounded their chests just one last time on this Earth.

It's not that I care if you kill yourself, it's just such a great place to dive. I don't want the insurance to get so high Mike can't keep the place open.

I know you won't listen, but stay on the shallow side and work yourself up to that dive.

Last time we were there it didn't seem AOW was necessary... We showed our OW cards and as the lady was briefing us on all the stuff she told us that we had to complete a deep dive plan and have it checked and verified by them... I'm a noob though, so what do I know?!

OT, but Where the heck are the paddlefish!?

Last edited:
#3 is not true, unless something has changed since June.

The planning sheet has a number of requirements for gear configuration. If I remember correctly, x out of y are needed and the others are suggested. Redundant gas is one, env sealed reg is another, nitrox may be one, deep may be one.

Most important is talking to Mike, discussing the plan, your experience, etc.

I like the deep side because it is good practice for diving the big lakes. It takes more preparation though and it demands more from a diver.

I have not seen the paddlefish, but haven't looked for them that hard. I am told they can be seen beyond the tubes.

I do believe he now requires either a deep specialty or more advanced technical training like adv. nitrox/deco. procedures. Redundancy of some sort is required. Either doubles or a real pony bottle (not a Spare Air). I'm not sure why anyone would want to dive over there without redundancy. You're just asking for trouble. I'd also say that a drysuit is a darn good idea. Not much insulation left in a wetsuit at 120' in 40 degree water. A good, strong light is also highly desirable. Given the depth and orientation of the quarry, it's quite dark all the time.

Here's what you need:

AOW cert.
Redundant gas
At least 30 cold water dives to your credit
File a dive plan with Mike and be prepared for questions if he doesn't know you.

Here's how you find paddle fish:

All of the above + using compass nav. drop to 25 feet on the deep side and head south down the middle of the quarry. You will probably see them at some time or several times during the dive going and coming.

Don't dive the deep side unless you've got the experience, confidence, and the proper equipment. IMO the deep side of Gilboa is for practice preparing for more challenging dives, and tech training. The deep side, especially in the Spring should not be used for recreational diving unless you're going after paddlefish and stay at 25-35 ft. You could also wall dive, but stay within your limits, but you still have to follow the above rules even though you are not going deep - 120-130 ft.

I do believe he now requires either a deep specialty or more advanced technical training like adv. nitrox/deco. procedures. Redundancy of some sort is required. Either doubles or a real pony bottle (not a Spare Air). I'm not sure why anyone would want to dive over there without redundancy. You're just asking for trouble. I'd also say that a drysuit is a darn good idea. Not much insulation left in a wetsuit at 120' in 40 degree water. A good, strong light is also highly desirable. Given the depth and orientation of the quarry, it's quite dark all the time.

I agree with the light, at least some type of light. The first time I dove it I was surprised, but then there was a layer of silt at 30'.
Dry suit I think is a must unless you are going for the bragging rights of going to the bottom and not staying long (which I don't suggest). I'm pretty sure that the water doesn't warm up on the deep side.

I couldn't believe it when we were taking our adv. nitrox/deco class there was a AOW class doing their deep dive. We didn't understand why the instructor didn't do it on the shallow side and go to the platform by the tubes. There was a group of us that didn't think it was a good idea. But it is Mike's quarry.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom