Gilboa deep side requirements...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I do believe he now requires either a deep specialty or more advanced technical training like adv. nitrox/deco. procedures. Redundancy of some sort is required. Either doubles or a real pony bottle (not a Spare Air). I'm not sure why anyone would want to dive over there without redundancy. You're just asking for trouble. I'd also say that a drysuit is a darn good idea. Not much insulation left in a wetsuit at 120' in 40 degree water. A good, strong light is also highly desirable. Given the depth and orientation of the quarry, it's quite dark all the time.

Completely agree! I did a dive with diverbrian to the deep side in a 7mm FJ/J which was always fine to the tubes and such on the shallow side. At 40m (140') it is COLD!

It was a nice, bright day and there was surprisingly good viz+light, but I second the light requirement as dark is more the rule than the exception.

Now that I have a drysuit, I'm thinking about seeing more of the other side of Gilboa. I'll have to grab the current deep-side form in October at the M&G.

-Rob

I'll have to grab the current deep-side form in October at the M&G.

-Rob

Better yet, sit down with Mike and discuss your desire to dive the deep side. Tell him about your background, experience, equipment and ask him how to prepare for diving the deep side. He'll respect your approach and give you exactly the information you need. Too often people just show up expecting to dive the deep side and are surprised when they have to talk to Mike, and then disappointed/upset if he doesn't give them permission. He'll appreciate being asked how to prepare before you want to dive the deep side.

I seem to recall asking Mike once if a deep dive plan was required to follow the road past the tubes. His answer was yes, a deep plan was required. But to be honest there isn't much to see over there anyway. The light that day made it really weird looking, and perspectives were somewhat distorted, it it weren't for my depth guage and squeze from my dry suit, I wouldn't have known we were descending.

But to be honest there isn't much to see over there anyway.

Hey, what do you mean???:11:---There's the "condenser" bottle (whatever that is) and the famous Grimace head. Com'on, give credit where credit is due. I conduct tours to the Grimace head during the M & G weekend, so get your name on the list.:)

As far as seeing the paddlefish I've had better luck snorkeling over the deep side, right down the middle like Barracuda mentioned. I followed one for about 15 minutes one day about 5 feet above it. It was very cool and you don't need to file a dive plan to snorkel.

I've also seen them while diving the deep side but not as often. The deep side is great for training but not as much fun as the "shallow" side. It's deep, dark, very cold and not much to look at that will take your mind off the fact that it's deep, dark and very cold.

Talk to Mike and he'll let you know if you're qualified to dive the deep side.

say the same about Quarry diving in general eh?

"worth" and "fun" are person-specific ... , tho' it is nice to know you can get almost 100' w/o jumping through the house hoops.

Matt,
sometimes the "house hoops" are there for a reason. One's life is a pretty good reason to me.

Matt,
sometimes the "house hoops" are there for a reason. One's life is a pretty good reason to me.

Whitestar instituted a policy of redundant gas/advanced cert to dive the Crusher Pitt?

You'd be ok with that? I SURE its intention would be to make your Safer, your life is a pretty good reason to me eh?

Of course there are reasons, the Main one being Litigious, I'm not insensitive to that.

Whitestar instituted a policy of redundant gas/advanced cert to dive the Crusher Pitt?

You'd be ok with that? I SURE its intention would be to make your Safer, your life is a pretty good reason to me eh?

Of course there are reasons, the Main one being Litigious, I'm not insensitive to that.

Absolutely! If that's not a requirement it should be IMO. Diving deep, cold or any type of an overhead (and especially when it's all 3 combined like the crusher pit at Whitestar) without redundancy is just plain stupidity. Sorry ... but that's how I see it.

You have inside information on that one, of course, as we've been diving together. :eyebrow: My response, however, is that if it were a "policy" of the quarry to have redundant gas or advanced certificate (which I do have) I would believe the owner(s) to have just cause to request and require that. I would honor that request.

I think some of the previous comments have been made--not to you specifically, or to your diving ability--but to the general knowledge that one with 20-40 dives as a beginner has not had the same experiences as one who has been diving for 5, 10, 20 or more years with 75, 100, 200+ or more dives "under their belt".

We're all here on the board for the same reason--to share our interest in diving. I think my comments were nothing more than that of showing concern to you, a new diver in the community, who has taken hold of the reigns this summer and "lived the dream" that we all love. DIVE, DIVE, and DIVE! And as the old 80's cop show "Hill Street Blues" said...., "be careful out there!".:popcorn:

Absolutely! If that's not a requirement it should be IMO. Diving deep, cold or any type of an overhead (and especially when it's all 3 combined like the crusher pit at Whitestar) without redundancy is just plain stupidity. Sorry ... but that's how I see it.

careful I said the crusher... NOT the tunnel.... so you REALLY think redundant gas should be Mandatory @ 75' in the Pitt... ?

Really ?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom