Gilboa deep side requirements...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

careful I said the crusher... NOT the tunnel.... so you REALLY think redundant gas should be Mandatory @ 75' in the Pitt... ?

Really ?

I assumed you meant the tunnel. Assuming a diver has built up to that depth, I see no problem diving the pit as long as their buddy is right there with them. I wouldn't want to see a diver fresh out of OW down there though.

Personally, I rarely dive deeper than 60' without redundancy. Heck, I rarely dive without redundancy period, especially in cold water. Cold water adds such a significant level of stress that even before I moved to doubles I would always sling a 30 cf pony if I was diving in water colder than around 60F.

Personally, I rarely dive deeper than 60' without redundancy. Heck, I rarely dive without redundancy period, especially in cold water. Cold water adds such a significant level of stress that even before I moved to doubles I would always sling a 30 cf pony if I was diving in water colder than around 60F.

Well said Jim. I'm a firm believer in the buddy system AND self-sufficiency. If I can solve a problem myself without using resources from my buddy, so much the better. Save my buddy for "plan C." That's one reason I think a course like SDI's Solo Diver is extremely valuable. It's not that I strongly advocate solo diving, but the course does teach self-suffciency, redundancy and problem solving, and I believe those attributes make for a stronger buddy team.

careful I said the crusher... NOT the tunnel.... so you REALLY think redundant gas should be Mandatory @ 75' in the Pitt... ?

Really ?

They probably figure that if you are going to the pit you will find the tunnel and go for it. Lets face it, we have all done something like that.

Gang,
Just to add it to the post, there is no requirement for redundancy to dive either the pit or the tunnel. The pit has never had that requirement and will not in any foreseeable future.

There is a permit that you have to fill out to dive the tunnel, if you are caught diving the tunnel without a permit the rangers can arrest you for trespassing. That way if you do something in the tunnel that causes you to get hurt and you weren't supposed to be there, in Ohio if you are trespassing the fault lies with you, not the property owner.

The permit has the question of what redundancy you have, however, ... and if you say "nothing" you had better have a good reason or your permit will be denied. This is a free service and it is a requirement of the park... like someone said "their quarry, thier rules." Many people who read the permit have decided that the tunnel may not be for them, which is what it is for.

You can check out White Star Quarry, Gibsonburg, Ohio one of the best inland dive sites in the midwestern USA. Midwest dive sight. and read the permit under the forms heading yourself. Pretty simple, dive within your limitations and if you aren't absolutely sure of success, don't dive it. There is an advanced open water requirement since the entrance is deeper than 60 feet and you are required to dive the tunnel with a buddy.

Also, if someone tells you that the tunnel is "safe" it is still an overhead environment and the rules were put into place because someone actually got seriously hurt in the tunnel. I really don't want that to happen again.

Dive safe,

Rich

Greetings "PvtStash"! There has been a lot of great posts to your thread, very useful information shared. I personally love the deep side of Gilboa and find it very enjoyable to dive. I also follow Mike's rules and understand the reason they are in place. I have had the opportunity to get to know Mike and he is a great guy who cares for the safety of others. The requirements for the deep side are there to prevent accidents and to promote safe diving practices. To gain experience and training you will not find a better place to do so under instructor supervision. As others have mentioned there are specific environmental issues on the deep side that if not adequately prepared can and will have consequences. I have seen free flows, divers suffering from narcosis, etc. it is not the issue that arises that causes problems but the reaction from the diver. Training is not a suggestion it is a must! No arguing that fact. If diving cold water and deep train for it and all the issues that go along with it. In an emergency you will have the training, confidence, skills required to react to the issue in the appropriate manor.
I have heard that in 2009 there might be some changes to the requirements to diving the deep side. These were not verifiable facts at this time but I know Mike will let us know when they are. The goal is safety and have fun while diving! To my fellow deep divers safe diving and meet you at the deep side soon!
CamG Keep diving....keep training....keep learning!

...very useful information shared. I personally love the deep side of Gilboa and find it very enjoyable to dive. I also follow Mike's rules and understand the reason they are in place...

I dove the deep side of Gilboa Today... I was teaching a Trimix class. We had tons of equipment with us and lots of redundancy. Filled out the dive plan, told them what equipment we were diving with and what our plans were, got my student familiar with the rules, and, most importantly, went for some fantastic dives. Vis was fantastic!

BTW we found a Scuba Pro mask and snorkel in the muck on the deep side... Jodi has it in the lost and found if you know who owns it.

I totally agree with the comments about training and the rules... don't feel singled out, everyone is subject to them... regardless of experience and training.

Dive Safe,

Rich

Great post Cam. I couldn't agree more, and as you know I have made a few of those training dives with you. I don't think there is any way to emphasize enough how important it is to prepare for diving the deep side. It can be some great diving but it does have consequences if not properly prepared. Remember that when we operate under stressful conditions you won't rise to the occasion, but you will sink to the level of your training!! Be prepared Stay safe. I also talked to Mike and he said he is going to be coming out with some new rules for diving the deep side. I'm sure those will be posted here when they come out. He also said he would add them to the website for Gilboa.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom