Ginnie 3-18-2012

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Colliam7,

I saw a similar thing last month a Ginnie. At least I assume they were OW students. A bunch of em.

I was doing the reel thing for my class..going in.

So I used correct cave etiquette and paused to let them pass as they exited.

Took a while I might add.

Back when I was taking my first set of classes, I was coming out of Ginnie at the eye. By coincidence, a couple other teams were exiting at the same time, so I was the first of a parade of divers, some of which had scooters. When I emerged over the edge and into the room where people usually leave deco bottles, I was surprised to see someone standing in the middle of the room. He was clearly surprised to see me as well. He started walking around trying to get our of my way, while I was trying to get around him to get to my deco bottle. At that point a whole flood of similarly skilled OW divers descended into the room, pretty much filling it, while the line of cave divers I was leading kept coming up from the depths and trying to get to their deco bottles. What a mess.

Back when I was taking my first set of classes, I was coming out of Ginnie at the eye. By coincidence, a couple other teams were exiting at the same time, so I was the first of a parade of divers, some of which had scooters. When I emerged over the edge and into the room where people usually leave deco bottles, I was surprised to see someone standing in the middle of the room. He was clearly surprised to see me as well. He started walking around trying to get our of my way, while I was trying to get around him to get to my deco bottle. At that point a whole flood of similarly skilled OW divers descended into the room, pretty much filling it, while the line of cave divers I was leading kept coming up from the depths and trying to get to their deco bottles. What a mess.

I had a nightmare like that once there, except someone had their grubby paws on my deco bottle. I about lost my cool.

I was doing my cave class there and as I was doing my safety stop in the Eye I had an OW diver descend right on top of me, lol!

When I went to FL to take my C2 class, one of my buddies and I went to Ginnie to do a shakedown dive. I vividly remember having to crawl under the legs of the guy who was firmly planted at the bottom of the Ear, taking video of the open water divers, and all but completely blocking the passage to anyone who wanted to enter or exit.

Sounds like they need a traffic light...

I am still wondering about the details of this death. Does anyone have any news?

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

This thread is off in the boonies now.
If anyone has anything actually relevant to this mishap, PM me and I'll consider posting it. Otherwise, the thread is closed.
If y'all want to continue the "stuff that goes on at Ginnie" thread, start one outside the A&I forum, please.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom