Ginnie Springs?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Of course Walter doesn't like caves. They're boring! Best leave that drudgery to us crazy freshwater types who don't know any better :wink:

It's not that I don't like caves, it's that I think you have to be crazy to actually go in them. I once (early 90's) considered taking a cave course, then I decided I'd rather not die young. While you can certainly increase your safety level in caves by being extremely anal and getting the best training you can find, it's still a crap shoot.

Mania, come visit any time, my dear.

Not that My opinion matters, but I can see Walter's point. I got my OW certification there. It is a neat dive......extremely clear, and I thought the small freshwater flounders were cool. I have to agree with Walter, though, cave diving is a little too risky for me. Too many variables to go wrong.

Walter,

All diving assumes risks. Of course you know this. Many do not see cave diving as particularly dangerous, but it does require a very developed skill set in the water that most divers seem unwilling to pursue. To each their own.

However, I'd not call it a "crapshoot" any more than I'd call your diving amongst sharks a "crapshoot". In fact, I can safeguard against failures in a cave with redundancy, and a good team. I can never do that diving in the ocean, as we simply cannot control the nature of animals.

waterbooger1:
Too many variables to go wrong.

There aren't many variables in a cave. Far fewer than in the ocean.

I have more dives in Devil's than any other cave. It is available to dive when a lot of the other popular recreational sites are either closed or undivable, due to flooding. In my opinion, it is a world class dive -- Great vis, lots of tunnel, great for scootering. We (Dive Rite) use this place as a place to test out a lot of gear -- If it swims well into the flow, that is usually a good sign. The topside amenities are nice, and as mentioned, there is usually always someone around to keep you entertained topside. Sometimes on a weekend I'll go diving in the morning, fill up my tubes and float down the river with all of the other tubers in the afternoon.

PerroneFord:
Walter,

All diving assumes risks. Of course you know this. Many do not see cave diving as particularly dangerous, but it does require a very developed skill set in the water that most divers seem unwilling to pursue. To each their own.

However, I'd not call it a "crapshoot" any more than I'd call your diving amongst sharks a "crapshoot". In fact, I can safeguard against failures in a cave with redundancy, and a good team. I can never do that diving in the ocean, as we simply cannot control the nature of animals.

Excellent points. I still think of it as a crap shoot because too many well respected and very talented cave instructors have died in caves. I feel much the same about rebreathers.

I know I engage in some pretty high risk types of diving from time to time - I penetrate wrecks - in some ways that's more dangerous than caves. OTOH, I understand wrecks quite well, I've been going inside them for a very long time. I understand just enough about caves to be afraid of them. I know enough about cave diving to know how little I know about cave diving.

Sharks are very rarely a problem, especially if you understand how to act around them. If you screw up around some species, they can certainly kill you. One very good method of protecting against sharks is to have a good team, just like in a cave. You can no more control the nature of a cave than you can control the nature of animals. You can understand the nature of animals and act in ways that reduce your chances of having a bad result. I know that is also true of caves.

I just like that fact that your actually diving, and enjoying yourself. To me, no dive is boring at all.

xScubaStephx:
I just like that fact that your actually diving, and enjoying yourself. To me, no dive is boring at all.

That's what it's all about, isn't it? Remember to vary your diving. If you do the same thing all the time, you will get bored and drop out of diving. Variety will keep you interested.

I was there last November. I really enjoyed the visibility and had a blast hanging out in the Ginnie Cavern. Only OW certified, so no caves for me.

Phil

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom