Give me your feedback on this set up

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nemrod:
Ranger LTD’s BCD’s
Mares Abyss 22 reg
Mares octos
Mares Air lab computer
Biofins Xt with springs
Tilos boots

I never understand these questions, warm water, OK, here is MY feedback:

The BC is one of those puffy, heavy, cumberbunded things I hate completely and would never use or purchase.

Mares regulators are functional but nothing special and getting parts and service is not one of their strong points and the same for the octos(?)

The computer sounds like one of those honking huge drag behind you like an anchor console things---I will pass on that.

BioFins, well, I guess but if warm water then why not a full foot instead of the springs and then you don't need Tilos boots whatever those might be.

You asked. N

Interesting reply, but common sense explains the boots. If you plan on doing any walking (common in many island locations) I want my feet protected.

Service could be an issue, but is there such a thing as 100% failure proof gear? If I were to go with any other OEM for a reg what makes you think service will be any easier in any of the places I dive?

I could see how you would dislike a BC and prefer a BP/W but I never liked a backpack :eyebrow:

The only point I think I could possibly agree with you on is the computer. Going wrist mounted means I will have multiple straps on my arms unless I ditch my watch (doubtful).

Thanks though for the 2 cents :D

The reason I said I never understand such requests (for approval) is that you have already made up your mind and your seeking validation. If that stuff is what you want then go get it. You never liked back packs but I never liked 700 dollars black sacks of air. I imagine the stuff listed will serve you as well as any of another dozen such lists that get posted all the time of very similar products.

Fly safe, take care. N

JofZ:
Interesting reply, but common sense explains the boots. If you plan on doing any walking (common in many island locations) I want my feet protected.

Service could be an issue, but is there such a thing as 100% failure proof gear? If I were to go with any other OEM for a reg what makes you think service will be any easier in any of the places I dive?

I could see how you would dislike a BC and prefer a BP/W but I never liked a backpack :eyebrow:

The only point I think I could possibly agree with you on is the computer. Going wrist mounted means I will have multiple straps on my arms unless I ditch my watch (doubtful).

Thanks though for the 2 cents :D

Have you even been in a BP/W before??? I can guarantee you that once you dive it a couple of times you will never get caught in a regular BC again. It is extremely streamlined, comfortable and a lot cheaper than anything else out there.
Or maybe you can get one of those weight-integrated "top of the line" expensive BCs that you read about and watch your weight pocket disappear into the abyss on a giant stride.

I certainly enjoy watching when that happens :popcorn:

If you're out at Haigh let me know and I will let you try mine :)

i wear my computer on my right hand,watch on left and still carry a console clipped off to the bc,sounds like a nice package to me,have heard many good things about the ranger and the abyss.

thats what make this such a hard decision. everyone has stuff that works for them. and what works for them, might not work for someone else. just as in the whole AI integrated, opinions. it all boils down to 2 things, your budget and what feels comfortable to YOU. keep us posted on your equiptment decisions and how it works out for you.

Bill

My wife tried the Zeagle system, and couldn't find a combnation of sizes that worked for her. A couple of them felt alright till she hung a tank on them, then no go. Definately have her try it on first, with a tank.

I dove with a weight belt for a while, and switched to weight integrated, won't go back to a weight belt any time soon. The newer weight pockets have better securing methods, and are less prone to falling out. I know mine aren't going anywhere. Check to Zeagle system though, one thing we didn't like was the ripcord release.

Your odds of finding parts for a reg world wide increase if they are Scubapro or Aqualung. I don't have any love for either company because of their Internet sales policy, but when it came time to buy regs, I did some research and went with Aqualung Titans. They use a fairly common kit, and are distributed world wide.

If your going to go with a back-up analog SPG, then there is really no reason to have an air integrated computer. You're going to have the same info by looking at an analog gauge with the exception of your comsumption rate which you should know anyway after a few dives.

Fins are fins, buy what feels good and works for you. I agree with using boots and fins, walking over coral rubble to get to shore is a drag.

Back
Top Bottom