Gloves on reefs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Where I dive nobody tells me what to wear.

I guess if you dive with a babby sitter you should expect to be babby sat.

MikeFerrara once bubbled...

Most DM's don't need the instructor manual. The is nothing anywhere in the instructor manual about having students kneel on the bottom. Can't balme the manual for that one.

I find the manual useful. That's where you find the critical skills for OW classes, together with the forms and other paperwork. You can also find stuff on the other courses there.

raxafarian once bubbled...
3. Diver Umbilical Mobile harnass (dumass)

Thanks, raxafarian. I need that...

I have seen bare handed divers pick up shells and such off of the reef in coz. The DMs do IMMEDIATELY jump all over them (and should). Why don’t they do something about the novice without buoyancy control. (Answer: they might loose the business.) So instead, they tell us (who do stay off the reef) not to ware gloves. Then they say they are trying to preserve the reef.

My favorite local boat, here in NJ, has a good policy. If you do something stupid, or dangerous, they give you a free day pass to Dutch Springs (the local quarry). Why can’t the diveops in Coz require a buoyancy class or free practice session, for anyone seen without adequate control? If you don’t take the class you have to wear the dumass.

Rax: Do they have t-shirts for that equipment: “I went to Cozumel and learned to ride a dumass”

VTY

Dave

PS

VTY
(Virtual Tech-diving Yankee)
Only in my own mind

kingprawn once bubbled...
Why don’t they do something about the novice without buoyancy control. (Answer: they might loose the business.)

Or...because in all liklihood, they, or one of their competitors, were the jackasses who trained the diver in the first place...

But, heaven forbid we all don't defend and support the lowest common denominator in diving...

Frankly, the degree to which people around here get upset over something like gloves in warm water amazes me. By the way, I don't have a problem with people who have a documented problem with alergic reactions wearing them. All I can say is that I have completed hundreds of reef dives without gloves and have no ill effects from it. Even where gloves are allowed, very few divers opt to use them in warm water.

I am all for diver improvement and agree with those who believe this would have a greater impact than gloves. At Coco View they actually give a free bouyancy control talk with a written hand out. Some other resorts might try this.

Lastly, Brian I think you are overdoing it.

leadweight once bubbled...
Frankly, the degree to which people around here get upset over something like gloves in warm water amazes me.

I think the same thing every time I see you, of necessity, go in to a BP/Wing thread and tell people they're not all that...

Relax LW and take a deep breath...no one is upset...it just makes your position easier to argue when you think we are...

Happy Easter!

Thanks & happy easter to you. May the bunnie bring you a fresh set of batteries for your backup lights.

Meanwhile, I sit here and consume my usual Sunday gallon of coffee.

leadweight once bubbled...

The mediocrity I see in this argument is your attitude.

Go ahead and wear your drysuit in Belize in July. Everyone on the boat will have a good laugh as you lug a 30 lb weight belt and pass out from the heat.

You definately don't understand dry suits..

I do occasionaly use it in warm water, I do 3 hour plus dives and it helps alot.. without undergarments I don't need a weightbelt.. even 80+ you start to get cold on your decos.. try doing a 2 hour hang in a wet suit without moving around.. you definately start to get cold..

In shorts and a tee shirt (under my dry suit) I am conformtable while waiting for others to get ready, not like people in their wet suits dying..

padiscubapro once bubbled...

You definately don't understand dry suits..

I do occasionaly use it in warm water, I do 3 hour plus dives and it helps alot.. without undergarments I don't need a weightbelt.. even 80+ you start to get cold on your decos.. try doing a 2 hour hang in a wet suit without moving around.. you definately start to get cold..

In shorts and a tee shirt (under my dry suit) I am conformtable while waiting for others to get ready, not like people in their wet suits dying..

Yep, long dives are cold even in warm water. If I need a suit then I need a dry suit.

In warm water I wear sweat cloths under the suit and it's just right for short dives in 80 deg water. I stay warmer over multiple dives and especially on night dives you can't beat the comfort of slipping out of your suit all dry and comfy.

Well, I will have to admit to not understanding drysuits. However, my comments above on drysuits were an aside to something else.

Meanwhile, anyone who wants to dive dry in warm water, be my guest. Not that it makes it right, but I have yet to actually see someone diving dry in 80 degree water. Divers have an amazing range of what they find comfortable. On the same dive I have seen everything from a swimsuit on up to a full 5mm with a hood.

As for keeping from getting too hot in a wetsuit in warm weather there is a simple solution. Dunk the suit in water before getting into it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom