Go Pro Retractor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use one of these below, the 24" is long enough to loop through the BDC's "D" ring and still be long enough to extend my arm. It attaches to the camera's bolt, like in the picture below.

51Kjd7e0erL._AA160_.jpg
(link here)

I certainly hope your GoPro never gets tangled in anything. Because you're sure not going to be able to cut that.

I certainly hope your GoPro never gets tangled in anything. Because you're sure not going to be able to cut that.

Good point! The loop around the thumb screw is good but just use a lanyard instead of cable so you can cut it, if there is an entanglement issue.

Shears will cut that or he could just unscrew the knob, but why would he put himself in that position?

I am looking at purchasing the Go Pro Silver. I wanted a simple retractor like the one below so I can hook it onto my BCD. Will this work?
Yes...cable tie the clip with the ring on it to the handle.That way you have to option of either unclipping it to use loose or having the tether provide some stability by pulling against it. Cetacea also has a line of them with various attachment options - your dealer probably stocks them or you can get them online. Retractors

They also sell a line of coil lanyards. I have one (not for a GoPro but a housed camcorder) and can use it three ways. Clipped off on my upper chest d-ring to transport the camera safely near my body, clipped off and pulled against for stability while panning, unclipped for more range of mostion while filming. Also it's a steel cable if you drop it. Coil Lanyards

It's not as simple but for something as small as a GoPro I'd also consider getting a tray. They all seem to have mounting holes for any sort of lanyard and will provide a much stabler base for shooting - GoPro's being so small are buffeted more by currents.

One other point to consider is having something soft in the chain. Like cave line or the lanyard cable. Because the camera also conducts sound thru the case so any hard cable movement gets picked up also.

It's a 24 inches cable, not 24 feet - If I can manage to tangle a 24" line, I better watch out for all the straps and buckles on my BCD too, they too can get tangled. If that is to ever happen - which haven't happened in the last 50+ dives using it, including a few wrecks and caverns, simply unscrew the knob and pull the cable out or just unclip the other end from the BCD (if you're using a carabiner or quick link to attach it). It's flexible but still stiff enough not to wrap around anything. Not everything needs to be solved with shears.

It's a 24 inches cable, not 24 feet - If I can manage to tangle a 24" line, I better watch out for all the straps and buckles on my BCD too, they too can get tangled. If that is to ever happen - which haven't happened in the last 50+ dives using it, including a few wrecks and caverns, simply unscrew the knob and pull the cable out or just unclip the other end from the BCD (if you're using a carabiner or quick link to attach it). It's flexible but still stiff enough not to wrap around anything. Not everything needs to be solved with shears.

I agree. If "all the straps and buckles on [your] BCD" are dangling 24" from your body, then you have other issues to worry about beyond the camera.

cord.jpg
This style works well for me - clip to stow, unclip for freedom of movement.

I put on my gopro Headmount under my hood

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom