GOING OCT. 4th--AIRLINE RESTRICTIONS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just flew to Coz from Denver last week and returned last night. 8 days of perfect weather, but that's for another post. I spoke with a TSA Supervisor face to face in Denver before I left about diving equipment in general. BONUS: He was also a diver, so he knew what I was talking about. Bottom line: Regs, Computer (with battery in) are OK. Liquid filled compass -- gotta check that sucker. It's one of those "maybe" items depending upon who happens to screen you. I'd also recommend taking all standard batteries out of flashlights and putting the batteries into checked luggage. Empty flashlights are OK to carry on. And yes, every time I've flown OUT of Coz, they have made me take the batteries out whenever I've forgotten to.

bcaderunr:
I just flew to Coz from Denver last week and returned last night. 8 days of perfect weather, but that's for another post. I spoke with a TSA Supervisor face to face in Denver before I left about diving equipment in general. BONUS: He was also a diver, so he knew what I was talking about. Bottom line: Regs, Computer (with battery in) are OK. Liquid filled compass -- gotta check that sucker. It's one of those "maybe" items depending upon who happens to screen you. I'd also recommend taking all standard batteries out of flashlights and putting the batteries into checked luggage. Empty flashlights are OK to carry on. And yes, every time I've flown OUT of Coz, they have made me take the batteries out whenever I've forgotten to.

It seems that in the past few years, regardless of what the airline or TSA publishes as "the rules," they are left open for interpretation and you're at the mercy of the counter agent and sercurity staff's interpretation... Sherry's told compass is fine while you are told at a different airport it's not. I'm not traveling for awhile so I'll keep watching and talking to dive buddies who are flying in the next couple of months to get a good idea of what "the rules" are with the airline and airport I use.

Off topic, but sort of related. A friend of mine is flying to the UK on Virgin Atlantic this weekend and he's been told that he cannot use his Mac laptop onboard. Virgin has banned the use of all laptops that had the Sony batteries that have been overheating. That involves several brands. They are allowing them in carry-on but you can't use them in-flight. So, might be good to check "the rules" on laptop usage if that's something you plan to do in-flight.

Well, I think since I have untill November that I will contact the airport again as it gets closer and make sure the rule is still the same. If the head of TSA at GRR said it is ok then I don't really think there would be a problem at GRR. Other airports may have different rules though.
Which causes me to think... will we get checked again at our layover in Atlanta? We dont plan on leaving the airport as it is under two hour layover....Maybe I sould find that out also.

Delta has no comment. Only that I contact TSA.

scubasherry:
Which causes me to think... will we get checked again at our layover in Atlanta? We dont plan on leaving the airport as it is under two hour layover....Maybe I sould find that out also.

You may indeed get checked again if they are doing gate checks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom