Going Pro

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

brendanrtw

Reaction score
I'm migrating to Oz from London (and leaving a very well paid job) & I'm seriously considering jacking in the rat-race having worked as a DM in Queensland years ago .... but I'm a bit worried that I'm putting my future (or future family) at risk by entering a profession that doesn't exactly pay well.

We're both of the opinion that you should be happy in your job, and she (a psychologist) is happy in hers, and could earn enough to support us both for a while. Obviously if there were more of us (we do hope to start a family soon), this might not be very practical.

I'm torn between biting the bullet and just grinding out for a few more years in a suit, or doing as much as I can to make myself a very marketable Instructor and getting a solid job.

If I were to take it seriously and work full time, what might I expect to earn (in Oz would be good)

Aloha.

To answer your question before I expound: not much! At least, not much initially.

Wow, that is a heavy decision. With the diving market (and overall job market) like it is at the moment, switching over to dive pro will probably not be the most financially sound decision you have ever made.

I gotta be honest with you, hacking it out as a dive pro is waaaay harder than most people realize and it takes a toll on you physically as well as financially. It is a very competitive industry filled with some of the biggest egos I have ever seen and there are days where I feel like I am in the sixth grade again due to all of the juvenile antics of some of my "peers." BUT, you get to do something you love and share what you love with others on a daily basis. So, as long as you really know what you are getting yourself into and you have the full - and I mean full, because it won't work otherwise, I've seen it happen too many times - support of your spouse and family, then go for it.

Out here in California, most of the instructors have day jobs and do the instructing on nights and weekends when they have time. As a DM myself, I find this works for me, but I am not in it for the money. And I can't say that I even make anything from my effort, but it is fun.

My point in all of this, is that it gives me something to look forward to during the week. Especially those days when my day job makes me want to poke my eyes and ears out. Maybe this is enough for you too.

Good Luck.

Siegel

Thanks for the honest feedback guys. Although I have the option to continue in my current career and spend my free time instructing, part of the reason we're migrating is to change our lives for the better. I don't enjoy being in an office every day, and the thought of slipping back into that trap is depressing.

If I can make some kind of living out of diving, even if it's not much, I'm sure I'll be much happier.

Anyone working in the industry in Oz have any comments?

Best of luck to you. Wish I knew someone in Oz that I could put in touch with you. Just to reinforce the positive side of being a dive pro, I was talking with my friend DMJulie today and she recently quit her "day job" and became a dive pro. She had her first "oh my gosh, I can't believe I get to do this for a living" moment the other day while leading some customers on a tour. She said it was the best feeling as she was looking around at all of our underwater beauty and she realized "Hey, this is my job!" So, it's not all bad :wink: Just be prepared, which it sounds like you are trying to be. Happy diving to you!

Oz, anyone? Anyone?

Brendan,

All of the Instructors that I know here in Sydney have full time jobs as well as all the DM's. I suppose it really depends on where you want to go, but in Sydney I think you would find it difficult to make a living out of being an Instructor let alone a DM.

A good place to post your question is probably on www.diveoz.com.au - The Biggest Site for Australian Scuba Diving Info, you may get more advice on QLD there.

The award wage in QLD for the Whitsundays as DM/ Instructor from 2005 is listed here http://www.qirc.qld.gov.au/agreement_award/state_wage_case/2005/pdf/whitsunday_charterboat.pdf.

You might find this interesting too, not all operators are like this but....Recreational Diving Industry Report – Information from investigations

All the best, Carol.

I think we all have the dream of chunking it all and doing what we love. I for one and not ready nor financially stable enough to do it. Based on all the industry numbers I've seen this last year (and that's before the recession), the market is tough and contracting. Big operations are getting bigger, but the smaller guys are struggling. I can tell you this, if you decide to make the leap, make yourself as marketable as possible. Having your equipment certifications, captain licenses, instructor certs will give you options and choices and different income opportunities. Good luck and let us know how it goes if you take the plunge.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom