Going to the Zoo at night

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

okie dokie....yeah, I waited tell I knew a #...will call now too. Chepar, you can just show up if she did good and go with us :wink:

I won't be going tomorrow night - not that my daughter did badly on her test (she actually did very well) - but my daughter said she would rather go to the men's UH basketball game instead.

That was so fun and interesting!

The animals interacted a bit with the Zoo folks (loved the elephants!!!)....we got a lot of background information on the animals and the Zoo. The guides were very knowledgeable. I thinkg the best part was being in there "alone" (13 adults and 5 kids) and having a guide.

Couldn't take many pictures because it was getting dark and they had a no flash rule..but I'll post a few of what I did get later :wink:

I thought it was great fun. I can see why hunting tigers in the dark would be a bad idea. Till the Tiger moved her head, I did not see her at all, and from only 5 feet away.
Also never was so close to a full grown Hippo before.
I had a great time.
thanks
Turtleguy

Sounds like it was fun. The basketball game was ok, I guess - I'm just not into sports events. At all. My 2 year old nephew did vomit all over everyone, though. That was rather exciting. :shakehead

Yes, very fun and interesting. I'll go into a bit more detail:

Elephants - they know they will get treats (apples), so the matriarch walked down into the ditch. Then they both raised their trucks and opened their mouths and stayed that way until the guide threw the apple slices. It was so cute. When we moved onto the next exhibit (the gibbon), the matriarch elephant went to the side of the pen, rested her head on the wall and just watched us (I like to think wistfully . . .)

One of the Gibbons is pregnant and one of the spider monkeys is pregnant

Hippo: They are herd animals but Cleopatra was alone for a long time. She is 51 years old - the 3rd oldest hippo in the world! When they introduced two new hippos, she was nasty to them. So now they keep them separated. The new hippos are on display during the day, and Cleo comes out at night. So we were very lucky to see her. (I pretended to go down into the water when she went down - it had no effect)

Anyway -great time! I'm sure Leesa has photos of the cute elephants. OH! They are making a new elephant exhibit (don't know when it will be done) so they can bring in a male and possible breed. But the male is so nasty during his mating season that they have to separate the male from the females. The exhibit will be much larger.

Rusty the orangutang: He was in his sleeping quarters and the keepers called him. After about 2 minutes, he threw his red plastic stool out, then came out, picked up the stool, set in in front of us, and sat on it. He also displayed some brutal (in human terms) behavior toward his female companion. The guide told us that orangutangs are escape artists and quickly learn how to use tools.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom