Golf course diver missing - Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
They have found a body, but not the diver: Body found during search for missing diver
ORANGE COUNTY -- Search teams found a body Saturday after returning to an Orange County golf course where a diver is believed to have drowned.
The Orange County Sheriff's Office said the body was found just before 7 p.m. and it could take a medical examiner a few days to determine a cause of death.
Deputies said two divers were searching for golf balls Friday at the Eagle Creek Golf Club, but only one surfaced.
The missing diver is said to be 21 years old. His name has not yet been released.
Friday’s search was suspended due to weather.

Wow, That's interesting....... I'm on a Search and Recovery team and have joked about this happening and have found a different gun while searching for one used in a homicide but never thought this would ever actually happen.

Body found: ORLANDO, Fla.: Diver at golf course found dead - Florida Wires - MiamiHerald.com
ORLANDO, Fla. -- Authorities say they've recovered the body of a diver who went missing while retrieving balls at a central Florida golf course.
The Orange County Sheriff's Office reports that 24-year-old Christopher Martin and another diver were recovering sunken golf balls in separate parts of a lake at the Eagle Creek Golf Club Friday when the other diver saw Martin's air tank floating without him.
The Orlando Sentinel ( Missing diver: Deputies find missing diver at Eagle Creek Golf Club - Orlando Sentinel) reports that deputies spent two days searching the lake, eventually finding Martin's body Saturday evening. The death remains under investigation, and an autopsy will determine the cause of death.

Wait, what about the first body? They didn't mention it in the second story.

Wait, what about the first body? They didn't mention it in the second story.

Only the body of the missing golf ball diver was found, not a second body. The writing is a bit misleading if read too quickly.

Inside scoop :
Professional Golf was contracted be the course to retrieve golf balls. They then subcontracted the work to a golf ball diver who brought a friend to work and the friend drowned.

Last edited:
Hey Don - Can you edit or have a mod edit your initial post, which leads one to believe the body is NOT the diver, when in fact it was. I'll edit this out after you get that cleaned up. Thanks.
I cannot, but I have asked.

Edit: They said "A couple of mods have read the thread referenced and think it is made clear enough early in the thread. We're going to leave it as is." I agree that it's not clear really, but such are news stories. We got to the bottom of it.

BTW, I think golf ball diving is some of the most dangerous, with the way it attracts new dives thinking they'll be fine in the shallows alone, in murk & trash, etc. I do not know of any studies & stats tho...?

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom