Good Beach Dive Sites for a Beginner in OC?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Along the same lines as aphelion's post...

I sometimes dive at Diver's cove, but swimming to the right around a beautiful reef and exiting at Fisherman's Cove (C in aphelion's image above). Fisherman's Cove's steps bring you to the entrance of Diver's Cove. You could also do it in reverse. This would be a very shallow dive, maybe 30 feet deep max.

Fisherman's Cove has a place called "mermaid's grotto" where you are protected at all times from surge and the vis is better. It's maybe 10 feet deep in there, but very calm and beautiful.

Man, posting this is making me want to go :)

- MikeT

Robert Phillips:
...As a good dive, I would suggest swimming out to the bouy marking Deadhenge, which is straight out from the wash rock and a little past even with Seal Rock, drop down on the bouy and explore Deadhenge to the East, turn around and explore it back to the Western part of the reef. ...
Not to hijack this thread (by the way Crescent and Deadmans are by far my favorite Laguna Beach sites followed by Treasure Island, Fishermans/divers cove, woods cove) but it appears that there have been some busy beavers in Laguna Beach in the short time I have been gone. What is this bouy you speak of? Inquiring minds in Kansas (Ft. Riley for a few more days at least) want to know. Will I recognize my old dive spots when I return in a year?

Stealth, stealth, stealth. Nothing will have changed. Minor adjustments have been made for your diving pleasure. You will hardly notice.:D

For a beginner Shaws and Divers Cove are probably the best 2 to dive. Montage is also very good as it is shallow and pretty protected. Deadman's even if you are experienced can be tricky. Had an experience were we got to close to Seal Rock and the surf picked up..lets just say we ended up on the other side and had one hell of a surface swim home..got a good work out that night..

For new divers, I would recommend only going to Montage/treasure Island when conditions are perfect. Even though the cove next to Goff island looks protected with those large reefs on the sides, it is exposed almost directly south. During most times when surf kicks up, the water gets a little churny. Not comfortable unless you're used to it. It's also a bit of a walk.

That being said, it's a great, shallow dive with a lot of bottom structure and plant life. Since it is such a big place, you'll see a lot of variety in the structure. There are sandy areas, hard coral bottom, brown algae patches, green algae patches, eel grass, vertical shelves, 30' deep wall, lots and lots of different places to see. I can't wait to dive it again :)

Robert Phillips:
I would not reccomend Deadmans for novice divers unless you are diving with others who know the area well, due to the large amount of boat traffic in and around the outer reef. It makes it somewhat of an overhead dive as you need to get closer to shore before surfacing unless you are able to shoot a marker from depth.
The near shore reefs and pinnacles at Crescent are excellent dives for newer divers unfamiliar with the area.
As a good dive, I would suggest swimming out to the bouy marking Deadhenge, which is straight out from the wash rock and a little past even with Seal Rock, drop down on the bouy and explore Deadhenge to the East, turn around and explore it back to the Western part of the reef. Turn right (North) and follow the reef/sand interface towards Pinnacles. Remember to follow the reef/sand on your way back to shore or you will end up at the shollow reef betwwen Crescent and Seal Rock, which could be dangerous in moderate to high surf. Just keep reef to the left and sand to the right as you work your way back to shore.
I've done close to 100 dives at this location and I always see something new.
Good luck and enjoy!
Robb

Robert pointed out some good information. ALSO...being new divers, Deadman's isn't the place to dive until you are pretty good with your air consumption and navigational skills...not only directional, but also how to read the changes in the environment such as sand patterns, sand textures, ect to get you back to shore.

Woods Cove and Moss Point are for more experienced divers due to environmental hazards that can and do exist.

Seal Rock would be a good spot for you initially before making your way to Deadman's. Also, try Heisler Park, Divers Cove, and Fisherman's. There is lots to see, and it's pretty easy navigation too.

For more beach diving experience, check out http://www.southcoastdivers.com They dive every Saturday and Sunday and welcome new beach divers to the group.

All the best and dive safe.

Back
Top Bottom