Good Bye Matt (SFL Diver)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I arrived in jeans and a t-shirt carrying a grocery bag with clothes to change into. The trip was fast compared to what some other boarders dealt with. Parking was great, not far to walk. The building was easy to find, but it took a walk all the way around to find an entrance. :wink:
When I arrived, I quickly found Seadragon, who was elated so me Brandon and myself. I advised her that i had completed my kilt and she asked me to go ahead and put it on. I changed to a black dress shirt and my newly completed black canvas kilt. Brandon attacked the cookie table and we watched the slide show. Matt's pix of his Karate class brought things so close to home. The location where he was to take his black belt test, where I was going to surprise him and watch the event, was to be held 300 miles north in MY town. Also being held in a school that I was friends with the owner and years ago had started taking the style myself. I pass the school everyday and will think of Matt even more knowing what was to come. Before the stories started, a friend of Matt's played the didjeridoo for quite some time. My 5 year old had never heard one except on TV and was curious to know what the sound was and where it was coming from. Hearing it echo throughout the room gave it a very strong, deep sound. Brandon highly enjoyed the music and listened very intently to it. My teen son sat around a campfire at last megadive with Matt and they traded the dij back and forth. Now, my teen may be teaching Brandon how to circle breathe so he can eventually play one himself. Thank you Matt and Mardi for introducing him to another musical instrument! One thing I love about my kids is that they love music!
Many stories of Matt were told. The slide show had a great number of megadive pix in it. That was awesome to see. I began the megadives to get to know other divers and we have built this into a family. Scubaboard IS a family. I never realised HOW MUCH, until Matt continued on. The kilt brought out some interesting stories, especially about his wearing of it to Publix. I would love to have been there the way Mardi told it!
I was approached afterward by a few people asking about the kilt I was wearing and it brought out more stories of what Matt and I had discussed at previous megadives. Matt was an incredible man who has kickstarted some changes in my life. Thank you for the wise sayings, the sarcastic sayings, and the incredible memories. Mardi, thank you for inviting us to attend. I hope to see you at the megadive.

My dear friends, I want to thank all of you for being there to support me and mom in our time of need. The tragic loss of our precious Matt has been comforted by those who were close to him and that is a testament to what true friends you really are.
Twenty years at FAU, Ten years with Cuong Nhu Karate, and countless years of scuba diving, camping and Kayuba’ing had made him many friends and dive buddies. Plus two individuals who are alive today because he risked his live to save them from the depths of the sea.

Matt had a kind, loving spirit and he would want us to know that he is in a better place, away from the stress and strain of this earthly life… free at last, happy at last.
Just know that it was not his choice to leave us… it was his time.
Be comforted yourselves that he loved each of his friends and hopes that his memory of your friendship remains in your hearts for a very long time.
For those who were unable to attend the Celebration of Life Event held last Monday night I wanted to share the PPT that shows photos of Matt doing the things he loved. Please take a moment and reflect on his life with us. http://www.ulrweb.fau.edu/matt barton/ the file is a little large… please give it a few moments to load.

Mardie

Don’t follow in my footsteps
Don’t feel the pain
Look to the wind
Feel serenity
Look to the trees (or maybe the seas)
Matt Barton 2007

Back
Top Bottom