Good camcorder to replace GoPro Hero3 Black

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I had GoPro 3 Black edition. It has a lot of nice options, but no stabilization, which is not good for walking and diving video.
For me was not easy to manage under water. Finally I didn't like photoes and specially video, which I did.
I sold full set (with screen, additional buttery, charger, memory).
My dream was to buy box for my Canon 70D, but price move me back to check simple camera.
Finally bought Sony HDR-AS100v with diving box and door for underwater video (it is must for diving!!! ).
First try on 30ft was pretty good. Next week will check on 100ft.
The only issue that I met with Sony, that you can't change from video to photo during diving.
Only simple box (up to 15ft) has posibility to change mode.

Just watched some videos on 50D + Magic Lantern and it seems after it's installed, the trash can button becomes the menu button, however, if in the S&S MDX-40 housing, you can't press the button in the middle of the round quick control dial to start recording (unless there's another way to start/stop recording)? Gotta love DSLR housings.. :depressed: is this this only button you can record with in ML video mode? You cannot depress the housing's knob, it only rotates. Was almost excited about this solution...
You mean you cannot control the setting button (SET) in the middle of the quick dial? Strange that this button is mentioned in the instruction manual of the housing as a controllable button (Please see E-18 of the manual)
http://www.seaandsea.jp/products/digital_slr/mdx40d/manual_txe2.pdf

You mean you cannot control the setting button (SET) in the middle of the quick dial? Strange that this button is mentioned in the instruction manual of the housing as a controllable button (Please see E-18 of the manual)
http://www.seaandsea.jp/products/digital_slr/mdx40d/manual_txe2.pdf

Thanks for pointing out! I put the camera in the housing and the knob does not directly sit on top of the camera's control dial, there's a separate button that you can press , so problem solved. I should look around to find a used 50D and play with it. I've seen some videos on line in 4K resolution. Does the 50D have that ability? How? Too bad I've read the 40D can only record video connected to a hard drive(??)

Again thanks for the tip..

Follow up on this (if anyone cares) :)

I did purchase a used Canon 50D body and installed Magic Lantern; was also able to shoot video on my last 3 dives. However one issue, there's no dedicated button on the MDX-40/50D Sea & Sea housing and have no way to turn on/off Live View while underwater to preserve the battery. I actually have to turn on LV before I place the camera in the housing and begin my dive(camera goes into sleep mode after 20 secs, Magic Lantern has a selection for that). The problem is if I forget to press the shutter button once in a while for the camera to wake up, it powers off after 30 mins. It happened to me once, was too busy fighting waves on a recent shore dive.

So, anyone else out there know how to program a custom key, C1, C2 or function to turn on LV when I switch on the camera? I've tried to program C1,C2 per the manual but LV constantly switches off before I save the sequence.
sad.gif
I really don't want to add a button on the housing, it might compromise its integrity.

Thank you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom