Good Cheap Dive Watches

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lairdb:
I found the manual (which seems to have been written and approved by someone with an odd sense of whimsy, as it includes such useful instructions as "Do not eat watch!", complete with illustration to help you grasp that watch-eating is not an official Timex-sanctioned activity.)

Lol - I'm glad they put that part in, I might have mistaken it for a hamburger in low vis :wink:

Even though it's not edible, It does appear to have some nice features...

--*laughing*--
I may have to but one just to be able to carry around the manual!

Wristwatch

AKmountaineer:
Here's a tip for anybody who wants a deal on a basic dive watch. I bought an Aquatech watch at Walmart for under $6.00 and it has been a fantastic SCUBA watch.

Totally agree.
Bought one as a backup for maybe $8 at walmart and it's been from the Keys to Costa Rica to Bonaire and back. 40 or so dives with it so far, down to 100+ft. Certainly got my money's worth even if it died tomorrow.

Oh my gosh. i just ordered st. moritz dive watch for husband and myself. (i hunted around for a ladies relatively inexpensive watch cause i have small wrist and didn't think a man's watch would come near fitting me). i saw some cheaper ones, but not as cheap as what you guys are describing, but i was afraid it might be one of those "you get what you pay for" kind of things and was afraid to go too cheap. the st. moritz's i selected are $69 each. and do not have a stopwatch feature. they better perform!!

donnad:
Oh my gosh. i just ordered st. moritz dive watch for husband and myself. (i hunted around for a ladies relatively inexpensive watch cause i have small wrist and didn't think a man's watch would come near fitting me). i saw some cheaper ones, but not as cheap as what you guys are describing, but i was afraid it might be one of those "you get what you pay for" kind of things and was afraid to go too cheap. the st. moritz's i selected are $69 each. and do not have a stopwatch feature. they better perform!!

I hope you have better luck than everyone I know that has had a St. Moritz. Every person I know has had problems, sent them back, not received a repaired or replacement. A couple of folks I know have given up after over a year without any response to their returned for repair watches.

I hope your case is better.

Are you sure this Timex helix watch is ok for diving?
The link in your post is dead, but I searched for Campmor's Helix and it came up with this;
http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=36962976

However,
there's nothing in that description that says it's a dive-capable watch, nor that it gives depth readings or stores max depth. Just says it'll show altitude from 0 (sea level) on up to 18,000 ft.
So I called campmor to clear it up and they said this Helix is NOT recommended for diving. That they've had people call with problems on them. That the "resistance" just means they're less likely to leak if there's an accidental dunking. Not that they're waterproof. And the rep said the watch doesn't track depth (below sea level).

I'm so confused.

lairdb:
Huh -- sure enough. Fairly dorky looking (see attached picture), but it exists.

Two models, actually, depending on trim color, Timex 47651 or 47661; the lowest price a quick googling showed me was $39.97 at Campmor, apparently on closeout.

I found the manual (which seems to have been written and approved by someone with an odd sense of whimsy, as it includes such useful instructions as "Do not eat watch!", complete with illustration to help you grasp that watch-eating is not an official Timex-sanctioned activity.)

I bought a G-Shock. You can find them at Wal-Mart and Target. Expect to pay $50-$70. I have had mine for 8 years. Well worth the money.

Do the g-shocks show depth?

If not, what's the cheapest "dive watch" that shows depth?
I've seen the casio sea pathfinder for around $100.
But I've also seen the timex helix for $50 (but can't confirm yet whether it does depth or not).
I've even seen some cheapy walmart watches that show temp and are waterproof.
Wish there was a cheapy 130 ft waterproof watch that simply had a timer, max depth, and temp with some sort of on-demand backlighting, in the $20-50 range.
That'd be the perfect backup to my computer.

jbichsel:
I hope you have better luck than everyone I know that has had a St. Moritz. Every person I know has had problems, sent them back, not received a repaired or replacement. A couple of folks I know have given up after over a year without any response to their returned for repair watches.

Wow. I had a GREAT service experience with my son's St. Moritz. It flooded at depth, and I sent it in with an explanation, fully expecting to have to buy a new one. We received it (or a new one - I forgot to check the S/N before sending it off) back within a couple of weeks. They even replaced the mineral glass crystal with sapphire for $24.

I've got a Submariner and usually dive with a Marathon SAR. However, I'm seriously thinking about getting a St. Moritz just so I don't have to worry about it getting stolen while travelling. The only reason I haven't is that I need another watch like I need another hole in the head.

cra2:
Are you sure this Timex helix watch is ok for diving?
The link in your post is dead, but I searched for Campmor's Helix and it came up with this;
http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=36962976

However,
there's nothing in that description that says it's a dive-capable watch, nor that it gives depth readings or stores max depth. Just says it'll show altitude from 0 (sea level) on up to 18,000 ft.
So I called campmor to clear it up and they said this Helix is NOT recommended for diving. That they've had people call with problems on them. That the "resistance" just means they're less likely to leak if there's an accidental dunking. Not that they're waterproof. And the rep said the watch doesn't track depth (below sea level).

I'm so confused.

cra2,

The watch you are looking at is not the same model of Helix... I just picked up a Helix with model number 47661. The one you are looking at is something else and doesn't do depth. If you are interested in one, look on ebay and search "timex depth" or "Timex dive" you will find one that does depth.

Good luck!

Mike

Back
Top Bottom