Good cheap underwater camera?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JakeyFlower

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I had a browse on the forum and couldn't seem to find a thread about it, so I was wondering what's a good cheap camera under $500

I was thinking maybe a GoPro or The Sony Action Cam HDR-AS15K

I'm still unsure as I've never used a camera underwater before.

Thanks guys :)

For photography I would stay clear of the video action cam type cameras..
canon s100/s110/G15 or similar systems from other manufacturers is quite good still cameras that will run <$500 with a OEM housing

For photography I would stay clear of the video action cam type cameras..
canon s100/s110/G15 or similar systems from other manufacturers is quite good still cameras that will run <$500 with a OEM housing

Thank you :) I will have a look :p

That being said, the gopro is a camera quite a few people like to use to mount on their dive gear to get video of their dives though as its a compact, affordable system thats pretty impressive on video caputre :)

olympus xz-1 is kind of cheap, you can find some good deals on ebay and the housing is about $300 usd

GoPro's are fixed focus w/o the option (afaik) to focus much closer than a foot so they're pretty useless for macro work - things like Nudibranchs, baby fish etc.

SeaLife has a couple of good options under $500.

If you don't mind being limited to about 40 feet, I love my little Canon D10 (which is only about $250, doesn't require a housing, and takes remarkably good photos). It was my first underwater camera, but I still take it along on shallower dives as a backup.

Emily

The S100 is a great camera even though it's last years model. Amazon has them in stock for $249. The Canon housing is $212 from B & H, Adorama or a variety of other sources. The S100 will do great still shots, wide or macro and does 1080p video as well, should you choose to, including stereo sound.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom