Good shore diving that is not Bonaire?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Where besides Cocoview? There was nothing much accessible - or worth diving - off the north side.

Reef house resort has some very nice shore diving right out in front of the resort, and it is accessible whenever you are.

Utila has great shore diving- easy access and a quick swim, and in most cases to both great channels and a fantastic wall right out your front door!

There is great diving all around the island, but for getting in lots of shore diving, you may want to consider the areas of Blue Bayou and South Shore.

South Shore is boat access - actually where we live and love it! Very quiet, long stretches of beach, unlimited spots to dive. Though most rentals/resorts don't nec. have transport to drive up and down the back road, but right in front of you is plenty to explore. AI resorts on South Shore to look at would be Deep Blue Resort and Utopia Resort. Some south shore beach rentals are Pelicans Nest, Casa Miradora, Utila Beach House and Pineapple House.

Blue Bayou is still driving access (scooter,golf cart, bike) from town. In Blue Bayou, checkout the oceanfront Round House, oceanfrontBlue Bayou Beach Houses, and Eagle Ray House (last 2 are more budget oriented, and Eagle Ray is just across street from ocean).

If you come to Utila, its a little different then Bonaire as far as you don't really drive around to a bunch of different shore sites, but the channels and wall just in front of where you would be staying are more than enough to keep you occupied for multiple daily dives for a week or two in my opinion...

Let me know if any questions-
andi

p.s- I'm not affiliated with any of the rentals or resorts, but have a website with lots of Utila info at Utila Guide- your best source for information about Utila. | Utila Guide Honduras

Andi...how varied is the diving on offer? That was our "problem" with Bonaire...awesome diving in general, but it was all the same, very little variation in the dive sites.

I think many places have potentially good shore diving. But often it is not practical. I have done some nice shore diving at Virgin Gorda but that was at the place I was staying. I just rented a tank and dove the little bay where I was staying. It was nice and easy.

I would think Little Cayman would have potentially good shore diving on the north side. The problem would be that when I have stayed there, you do not have a vehicle and the scuba tank refills are all on the south side. Of course, you can probably say that about almost any diving locale you would care to name.

On Roatan, CoCo View resort has very nice shore diving. Their "front yard" features 2 walls and a wreck that you can dive day or night. Many resorts talk about "unlimited" shore diving but the shore diving at the place really is not practical. CoCo View actually is set up for the shore diving and it is very good.

I understand that places with good shore diving are Bonaire, Curacao, and Grand Cayman.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom