Good Shore Snorkeling In South Florida (particularly Around Miami)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Squirttle37

Registered
Reaction score
I am considering snorkeling with my girlfriend on a first date soon. I would prefer places that you can snorkel off the beach. Because when I went snorkeling for the first time on a school field trip when I was 17, I went to John Pennekamp by boat 5 miles offshore. I snorkeled around the reef around near where the statue of Christ and the area was like at least 20-25 feet deep and it looked quite scary. I was floating with the inflated vest the whole entire time though now I know that since that area is deep I prefer repetitive skin diving rather than surface snorkeling in that area. I do not want to do John Pennekamp as a choice, though it is an awesome reef plus I do not want to go to far from home.
The type of places I desire to snorkel with my gf would be in a place where it is shallow, can snorkel off the beach without a boat, has vibrant marine life, is cheap to go to for admission in a park, and is a calm safe area that is not considerably choppy. A couple of choices I have in mind are the Otleta River State Park and Key Biscayne. Otlelta River State park is in mind because coral reefs are not the only area with vibrant marine life. Mangroves can be very vibrant in marine life too.
Are these areas mentioned good for easy shore snorkeling?. Your own snorkel and diving experiences in Miami and these areas would be really useful.

If you don't mind driving a little ways you could check out Deltura Avenue Shipwreck Snorkel Trail in Fort Lauderdale. It is about 300 feet from shore but definitely worth the swim for all of the marine life you will see at this reef. Just make sure you do swim far enough out to the reef or you will be disappointed. Also, try to go on a day when the waters are calm for better visibility.

Biscane National Park you can snorkel from shore and there are other fun things to do here too.
I did not see anything about snorkeling on the Otleta Rive State Park website so call them before going out.

I haven't been to all of them but I would recommend trying them all, I mean what do you have to lose? Just check the weather and waves before going, other than that each place will be a new adventure for you two.

Hope that was helpful,
Aleigh Ray
Snorkeling in Florida

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom