Good source of info BEFORE I ask questions in forum

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dberry

Hydrophilic
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm looking to move beyond my GoPros - especially for photos - and am leaning towards a TG-6 + housing + ??. I'll ask for advice here in the future, but first would appreciate pointers to good, unbiased info about things to consider when it comes to accessories. As in: lights, racks and connectors, lenses, and other stuff I don't know enough to ask about. I'm hoping for a single-source of basic info about equipment; I do read posts in SB forums, but it can be a challenge to assimilate all the various posts hitting different aspects.

I'm looking to advance in stages, not jump to pro equipment. As a start, the TG-6 seems to hit most of my buttons in terms of relative simplicity but some manual controls and fairly compact size. But then I start pondering what else I should get and get lost in a rabbit hole of options (and cost ranges).

Thanks in advance for any pointers to good sources of info on equipment for the new-ish UW photographer.
Cheers,
Don

Don, The TG-6 is indeed a great step up for still images. Backscatter has several videos with great information on the TG-6 and related kit, from basic settings to building a capable rig with a tray, arms and lights. They sell an excellent little strobe, which my partner uses to great effect on her TG-6.

From someone who came from a point and shoot moving to a E-M1 setup, it gets old dragging around a large setup on trips (e.g. camera bag w/ lenses + hard case with enclosure, strobes, etc). I'm at a point where I want to get a TG-6 to have something to take on trips where I don't want the burden of the larger setup. My only concern is focus performance. Perhaps someone can comment on the TG-6's ability to capture focus without spending a lot of time hunting.

My only concern is focus performance. Perhaps someone can comment on the TG-6's ability to capture focus without spending a lot of time hunting.

With appropriate lighting, the TG acquires focus admirably--in fact, almost certainly better than your E-M1 with the 60 macro; the E-M1 body was not known for its focus performance, especially with the 60. It's barely an issue on non-macro images because the lens is so short, and the TG focuses brilliantly on macro subjects, especially if you give it decent light--a constant light in the 1200-2500 lumen range makes a significant difference--but subject acquisition is fast even in ambient light. Don't expect much on the wide-angle side, though--without a wide-angle optic, the field of view underwater is pretty narrow.

E-M1 or E-M1 mark II?

Point in fact I have the mark II which is substantively different than the older body where there are more phase difference points and it uses them in S-AF versus the older body which only used phase difference in continuous autofocus. While no focus system is perfect I really don't find focusing with the 60 macro a struggle, as opposed to the older contrast focus sweep method. But this isn't a debate about the E-M1's performance.

Clearly any camera does better with a focus light. I'm happy to hear that the TG's focus system has good performance.

A month ago on Bonaire several people were diving the TG where the person I spent time discussing the TG clearly was mostly shooting macro, but had a wide-angle wet optic. I didn't see his results, but he seemed to be happy with the setup.

E-M1 or E-M1 mark II?

Point in fact I have the mark II which is substantively different than the older body where there are more phase difference points and it uses them in S-AF versus the older body which only used phase difference in continuous autofocus. While no focus system is perfect I really don't find focusing with the 60 macro a struggle, as opposed to the older contrast focus sweep method. But this isn't a debate about the E-M1's performance.

Clearly any camera does better with a focus light. I'm happy to hear that the TG's focus system has good performance.

A month ago on Bonaire several people were diving the TG where the person I spent time discussing the TG clearly was mostly shooting macro, but had a wide-angle wet optic. I didn't see his results, but he seemed to be happy with the setup.
for sure, the Mark ii is much better at focusing the 60, I used it for several years with few complaints in that regard. Subjective, of course, but I’d say the TG6 is as good, maybe even better at macro focusing than the Mii. My partner has the wide wet lens and likes it. Have you considered a cell-phone housing? I have a DiveVolk which I like—touch screen capable, and your phone, whatever model, is so familiar to you. I still haul the rig, but like using the phone too.

I'm looking to move beyond my GoPros - especially for photos - and am leaning towards a TG-6 + housing + ??. I'll ask for advice here in the future, but first would appreciate pointers to good, unbiased info about things to consider when it comes to accessories. As in: lights, racks and connectors, lenses, and other stuff I don't know enough to ask about. I'm hoping for a single-source of basic info about equipment; I do read posts in SB forums, but it can be a challenge to assimilate all the various posts hitting different aspects.

I'm looking to advance in stages, not jump to pro equipment. As a start, the TG-6 seems to hit most of my buttons in terms of relative simplicity but some manual controls and fairly compact size. But then I start pondering what else I should get and get lost in a rabbit hole of options (and cost ranges).

Thanks in advance for any pointers to good sources of info on equipment for the new-ish UW photographer.
Cheers,
Don

I would highly suggest you take a loot at the Olympus EPL10 and its housing from backscatter. The EPL10 (with kit lens) and the TG6 are nearly the same physical size. The main difference is that you can swap out lenses and ports as you grow with the EPL10. I really enjoy my EPL10, I have both the macro and the wide-angle set up for it, I like to choose what to focus on before I start my day of diving and then just focus on that kind of photography.

another bonus with the EPL10 is that you can use other lenses like the 40-150R for an inexpensive telephoto on your trip if you want to bring that as well.

Back
Top Bottom