Goodbye Fiesta Americana Dive Resort

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well remember too that FA tried to unload that hotel for a while before the refit, so perhaps they are not as confident in the model as they could be.

That doesn't surprise me, Cozumel isn't exactly known for high-end vacationers, and Cozumel has been economically depressed for a long time due to the recession, I'm guessing they had to evaluate the cost/benefits and risk/reward of all the construction costs versus unloading it. The brand is going to pull in some loyal clients who know the brand already (like me) but until things recover more and the market grows in the higher end, they are still going to have to cut into the Palace and the Presidente's business in order to fill their rooms if they truly bring it up to a 4 star property, could be a blood bath and mean some good deals eventually for those who like those other places.

---------- Post added June 27th, 2014 at 08:01 AM ----------

I doubt that Mike is referring to me specifically because I know that I add a certain class that any hotel would gladly embrace.

View attachment 187414

That's beautiful Ron. I'm guessing you're got a pair of sandals on with those socks.

Personally, I think Coz could use a true 5-star operation...particularly if they carry that into the dive shop. I always like staying at the Presidente but another option (and even further south) sounds good to me.

I'm sure the rates will reflect whatever the market will bear, as it should be. Some people (snobs, I guess) prefer a higher-end experience than others. If they choose that and can afford it, I see no reason to besmirch them their lifestyle. There are certainly plenty of other options on the island, in a host of price ranges.

That doesn't surprise me, Cozumel isn't exactly known for high-end vacationers, and Cozumel has been economically depressed for a long time due to the recession, I'm guessing they had to evaluate the cost/benefits and risk/reward of all the construction costs versus unloading it. The brand is going to pull in some loyal clients who know the brand already (like me) but until things recover more and the market grows in the higher end, they are still going to have to cut into the Palace and the Presidente's business in order to fill their rooms if they truly bring it up to a 4 star property, could be a blood bath and mean some good deals eventually for those who like those other places.

Personally, I think Coz could use a true 5-star operation...particularly if they carry that into the dive shop. I always like staying at the Presidente but another option (and even further south) sounds good to me.
In case you don't already know, Secrets has been open for about two years now. I missed the in-room jacuzzi that the Palace provides, but there are rooms available with rooftop private pools. My room had a more luxurious feel than that at the Palace, the food was more upscale (though not entirely consistent in quality), and the booze was higher shelf. Entertainment less cheesy and best of all IMO, no kids. Plus there's a "real" beach.

That's beautiful Ron. I'm guessing you're got a pair of sandals on with those socks.

More high fashion:

BlackSock.jpg

any update on the FA remodel? We leave sept 11 for a week there?

I hope that it is close to finished. I would not book a room until it opened.

any update on the FA remodel? We leave sept 11 for a week there?
I'd sure check with the hotel or whoever booked it for you. I would be surprised if all the work was done by then, judging from how it looked in May. Good luck.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom