GoPro 12 pre-order

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you can get the 12 for $300 then sell the 10 for $150, it might be tempting to get the better processor and stabilization and white balance.

This is my thought process, I’m going to go with it and order one tomorrow.

I did have a thought. If the battery life is improved, but the battery didn't change, the camera is more efficient. Besides the increase in film time there should be better thermal characteristics. The current GoPros are know for running hot and having issues with it. If the camera is more efficient, the battery won't be heating the camera up as much, runs cooler.

I don't think GoPro is going to announce that the old models had overheating issues. So they probably are not going to announce the new camera won't overheat as much.

I'm keeping my almost new 10 and just roll with it. But it will also get it's first deep dive in the standard GoPro housing in a couple of weeks. That will tell me if I need a better housing (sticky buttons) or a new camera (leaks). Only rated for 196' and I am planning on taking it to a full 200.

I don't think GoPro is going to announce that the old models had overheating issues. So they probably are not going to announce the new camera won't overheat as much.

They never have.

They would routinely have bugs fixed only by the new model... which introduced its own bugs. Less of an issue today, but I saw it a lot in the early days.

They never have.

They would routinely have bugs fixed only by the new model... which introduced its own bugs. Less of an issue today, but I saw it a lot in the early days.
I remember my Hero 2 and 3 got major updates a couple times a year. As you mention, not so much anymore. Maybe one a few months after the new model is released.

Can't see how the new features would be useful. Underwater with a tray needs no stabilization. Already recording in 4K60, and that's overkill. Overheating is no issue when using it underwater, thermal conductivity of the case is more than adequate. My next upgrade will be for the same reason I went from a 7 to a 10 -- Flooded case at 90fsw messes up electronics. When the 10 goes the way of the slipper lobster I'll get the latest and greatest. Until then I'll use the 10 until it's used up.

Thermal shutdown specs:
Thanks to its improved power management, HERO12 Black delivers 2x longer continuous recording at 5.3K60 (70 minutes)¹, ( = 90Gb storage)

1Compared to HERO11 Black 5.3K60 recording time of 35 minutes before thermal shutdown at a temperature of 77°F (25°C) with a wind speed of 0.6m/sec.

plus over 1.5 hours at 5.3K30 ( = 64Gb storage) and over 2.5 hours of continuous recording at 1080p30.² ( = 64Gb storage)

2Runtime measured at a temperature of 77°F (25°C) with a wind speed of 0.6m/sec with the Wide digital lens; wireless connections, Bluetooth and HyperSmooth on; front and rear LCD screen on with a 1-minute screensaver; and voice control off.

Can't see how the new features would be useful. Underwater with a tray needs no stabilization. Already recording in 4K60, and that's overkill.
I disagree - stabilization is still quite useful underwater with a tray. It makes for incredibly smooth video and GoPro stabilization is really amazing - though I can’t see it being really noticeably better than the 11?

I find 5.3K60 useful as well as it allows cropping in/ reframing a bit and still maintaining full 4K video.

All in all, I see nothing in the 12 that makes it a meaningful upgrade from the 11 (or really worth the extra $ vs an 11). A pretty disappointing model - if only the 1” sensor rumors had been true as that would have been awesome!

I disagree - stabilization is still quite useful underwater with a tray. It makes for incredibly smooth video and GoPro stabilization is really amazing...

100% agree. Back in the days of Hero 3, it was hard to make videos that didn't look like the underwater Blair Witch Project.

Well I preordered a 12. The changes don't really impress me, but I was planning to order a second camera anyways.

But this will likely be my last upgrade for at least a couple of cycles. I am thinking probably until the 14. Unless they do a major surprise upgrade like when they added 10bit color to the 11.

My speculation of what we will see GP13 new larger sensor, GP14 new GP3 processor.

@Manatee Diver I preordered as well, we've had some weird issues with the 10 on the last trip where it totally reset between dives so I had to go through and redo all the settings for my wife......I think between the 11/12 changes it's probably more of a side upgrade. Before the 10 we had a 6 and then a 2, so we typically wait a bit longer before upgrades but since I jumped on some Light & Motion light set, it'll be a total upgrade at once for her.

I owned a HERO10 and was on the fence with the 12 and ended up getting the insta360 which came out with a new dive case. The whole package was $569 + tax and a $30 half gig memory card. For the most part, unless you printing zoomed in photos there is hardly a difference between the 10 and 12 if you know how edit the photos there's even less of a difference

Here's my thread and URL to the footage

Back
Top Bottom