GoPro Hero 11 Black codecs and older MacBook

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MB NZ

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Having just bought a new GoPro Hero 11 Black, I was pretty keen to try it out and got a sinking feeling when I realised it only recorded in HEVC with no option to record in H.264. I have an older MacBook Pro (late 2013) and it's not happy with HEVC at all!

I've gone down the Handbrake file conversion route. What are the best output settings to maintain quality of video? Alternative suggestions?

Cheers

Hello,

Recovering former technology person here. Worked for a non-profit that used both Macs and Android platforms. I used to do tutorials for hours a day, and supervised an IT Help Desk staff, so providing a more comprehensive answer for those finding this thread using a search more than just a quick and simple answer. :wink:

The problem is that older version of the GoPro editing app for Mac (1.3.X?) used to convert the H.265 (HEVC) to H.264 (MP4), but the newest one apparently does not. GoPro says on their support forum that they do not support or provide older versions. What they suggest is using what the OP indicates: Handbrake - a tool that converts one format to another. Link to that is further below.

You don’t mention your operating system, but one of my Macs is a late 2012 MacBook Pro running the ancient OS X 10.12.6 (Sierra).

I use my newer MacBook Pro for videos, of course, but I have noticed that some transfer processes automatically convert HEVC to H.264 in the background if the receiving device is not compatible with the newer format.

I realize not everyone has iPhone, but I do now (after years of Android-only phones), and have just verified that the following trick DOES work for converting files from my GoPro Hero 11 => my iPhone => my old Macbook Pro running OS X 10.12.6 Sierra. The key is the use of Airdrop with the iOS on phone, so should also work with an iPad as the intermediary.

AirDrop has been part of Mac OS X architecture since 2009. It will automagically convert GoPro HEVC to H.264 (MP4) format quickly in the background while moving from iPhone to old Macs. I

So, technically, this lowers the quality because H.264 is less capable, but it also solves a problem because the video can now be edited and worked with in older apps on your Mac.

1. Move video (s) to your iPhone by Bluetooth. GoPro Hero 11 has this built in. You can move them in batches by selecting multiple movies.

Here is how:

gopro-enable-pairing.png

2. On the iPhone, select the movies you want to move. When you have selected them, "Share" and use Airdrop icon to find your Mac. It uses WiFi or Bluetooth.

If you have trouble finding or using Airdrop on a Mac, you can use the "Go" menu on the Mac (top of screen) or "Control Center". Make sure you have it set to work with "Everyone", not just "Contacts" if you are having trouble.

3. The files are now H.264 / MP4 on your Mac! However, they were created using the HVEC codec. This means you need an app that contains the codec to get them working on your Mac.

VLC is a long-time, very mature Open Source (volunteer maintained code base) software project that is safe and has no spyware, or tracking. Download free VLC Player (which also edits, converts and views streams) for Mac here:

VLC Download

That's it! Now anytime you move your files to your older Mac from the iPhone, the files with open normally in VLC to play, edit or change formats.

Here is Apple support explaining options for working with HVEC files, and verifying the background conversion with AirDrop:

Other Options for HVEC on a Mac

For those who don't have iPhones, but still running older Macs, options are very limited. I don't think older Macs can work with native HVEC files at all. You need iOS 11 or higher, or OS X 10.3 High Sierra or newer to work with them natively, which was introduced in 2017.

As you mention, GoPro says to use Handbrake:

If you haven’t done batches in Handbrake, this is how you do so. Batches might be your best bet if you can get settings you like established, and a process down:

When I have to use my old MBP for editing (only rarely) newer file formats, I use VLC Player (which is an open source player and editor). It is free to download for OS X and Windows. It converts much like Handbrake, and has lots of options. Quick and easy tutorial here:

Finally, I have used the free online converter Zamzar for years to convert just about any file time to just about any other file type.

Hope this helps someone down the line.

Both VLC and the iPhone techniques work well, thanks again. I can see myself going down this route for short clips, but are a little time consuming for a large number of files. Unless I can persuade myself to buy a new MacBook, think I'll shoot in 1080 to save the pain. What do you think?

Well, it's kind of like the old saying that you can only pick two priorities in choosing technology solutions:
  • Most Effective (solves your problem best)
  • Free / Low Cost
  • Fast
In your case, the limiting factor is your 2013 Macbook. Using that automatically excludes the first choice, which is getting a more capable processor that can run the GoPro software and output files natively. ;-) It also means you can't pick the third choice. But if your priority is getting the job done, Free / Low Cost will work.

As far options for you without spending the proverbial big bucks, I would say that the AirDrop workaround is actually much faster for multiple files than the test I ran with VLC on my older Mac. Why? The video processing power and speed of a current (or semi-recent) iPhone is simply far, far better than your laptop. There has been an entire decade of tech innovations and chip processing performance improvements since then. We could not have imagined a laptop doing what an iPhone does now with ease back in 2013.

Here is a benchmark comparison between the two, and a glimpse at video processing power calculation power:

Late 2013 Macbook Pro vs. iPhone 13 Pro Max

mbp2013vsiPhone13.png

The computer in your hand, or in your pocket is MANY times more of a computer than the Macbook Pro of 2013. It took only about 20 sconds or so each clip (averaged out) for my phone to convert the HEVC test clips I used yesterday. VLC on the Macbook running Sierra took many minutes. You can select a whole long list of videos from your GoPro and let the phone process in the background. That would be my first choice if I wanted to focus on the second two priorities in the list. ;-)

VLC Player ALSO does batch conversions. You could just select the files and let it run while you do other things. Here is a tutorial:

VLC Batch File Conversion

Hope this helps.

A little follow-up. All the above methods work, thanks again. In the end, I decided to get a new MacBook Pro (M2). Cuts through 4K video like a hot knife through butter. Wow!

Hello,

Recovering former technology person here. Worked for a non-profit that used both Macs and Android platforms. I used to do tutorials for hours a day, and supervised an IT Help Desk staff, so providing a more comprehensive answer for those finding this thread using a search more than just a quick and simple answer. :wink:

The problem is that older version of the GoPro editing app for Mac (1.3.X?) used to convert the H.265 (HEVC) to H.264 (MP4), but the newest one apparently does not. GoPro says on their support forum that they do not support or provide older versions. What they suggest is using what the OP indicates: Handbrake - a tool that converts one format to another. Link to that is further below.

You don’t mention your operating system, but one of my Macs is a late 2012 MacBook Pro running the ancient OS X 10.12.6 (Sierra).

I use my newer MacBook Pro for videos, of course, but I have noticed that some transfer processes automatically convert HEVC to H.264 in the background if the receiving device is not compatible with the newer format.

I realize not everyone has iPhone, but I do now (after years of Android-only phones), and have just verified that the following trick DOES work for converting files from my GoPro Hero 11 => my iPhone => my old Macbook Pro running OS X 10.12.6 Sierra. The key is the use of Airdrop with the iOS on phone, so should also work with an iPad as the intermediary.

AirDrop has been part of Mac OS X architecture since 2009. It will automagically convert GoPro HEVC to H.264 (MP4) format quickly in the background while moving from iPhone to old Macs. I

So, technically, this lowers the quality because H.264 is less capable, but it also solves a problem because the video can now be edited and worked with in older apps on your Mac.

1. Move video (s) to your iPhone by Bluetooth. GoPro Hero 11 has this built in. You can move them in batches by selecting multiple movies.

Here is how:

View attachment 784444

2. On the iPhone, select the movies you want to move. When you have selected them, "Share" and use Airdrop icon to find your Mac. It uses WiFi or Bluetooth.

If you have trouble finding or using Airdrop on a Mac, you can use the "Go" menu on the Mac (top of screen) or "Control Center". Make sure you have it set to work with "Everyone", not just "Contacts" if you are having trouble.

3. The files are now H.264 / MP4 on your Mac! However, they were created using the HVEC codec. This means you need an app that contains the codec to get them working on your Mac.

VLC is a long-time, very mature Open Source (volunteer maintained code base) software project that is safe and has no spyware, or tracking. Download free VLC Player (which also edits, converts and views streams) for Mac here:

VLC Download

That's it! Now anytime you move your files to your older Mac from the iPhone, the files with open normally in VLC to play, edit or change formats.

Here is Apple support explaining options for working with HVEC files, and verifying the background conversion with AirDrop:

Other Options for HVEC on a Mac

For those who don't have iPhones, but still running older Macs, options are very limited. I don't think older Macs can work with native HVEC files at all. You need iOS 11 or higher, or OS X 10.3 High Sierra or newer to work with them natively, which was introduced in 2017.

As you mention, GoPro says to use Handbrake:

If you haven’t done batches in Handbrake, this is how you do so. Batches might be your best bet if you can get settings you like established, and a process down:

When I have to use my old MBP for editing (only rarely) newer file formats, I use VLC Player (which is an open source player and editor). It is free to download for OS X and Windows. It converts much like Handbrake, and has lots of options. Quick and easy tutorial here:

Finally, I have used the free online converter Zamzar for years to convert just about any file time to just about any other file type.

Hope this helps someone down the line.
I have a similar issue with the GoPro Hero 11 Black. I've never tried to edit video footage before, so I used it for the first time on a recent dive trip. shot over 400 clips in 4K 60bps, blissfully unaware of compatibility and memory issues . I use LightRoom Classic for photo editing, so I tried using the free Adobe Premier Rush and free Microsoft ClipChamp, but my Dell xps13 i7, 16mb memory, 512 GB isn't able to handle editing the video. I want to get the best footage from the clips and make a short trip summay, probably starting with 30-40 of my favorites, then narrowing down to get the final 1-2 minute product. IWould buying Premier Pro solve the problem with current hardware? As a temporary solution, any suggestions you can give to help me salvage the 4K (without new hardware) and continue to shoot in 4K will be very much appreciated.

...so I tried using the free Adobe Premier Rush and free Microsoft ClipChamp, but my Dell xps13 i7, 16mb memory, 512 GB isn't able to handle editing the video. I want to get the best footage from the clips and make a short trip summay, probably starting with 30-40 of my favorites, then narrowing down to get the final 1-2 minute product. IWould buying Premier Pro solve the problem with current hardware? As a temporary solution, any suggestions you can give to help me salvage the 4K (without new hardware) and continue to shoot in 4K will be very much appreciated.

Most of the last decade or so of my career was Linux and Mac OS X focused, so Windows is not a relative strength of mine...lol. On the surface, it would appear that Premier Pro *might* be able to run on your rig for about $22 USD a month. However, you don't specify what errors or what other barrier to editing the video with Premier Rush or ClipChamp you had might have had when you tried. That would probably give us some insight into what your particular struggle is with your existing equipment.

Here are the system requirements:

My gut reaction is that VLC Player - which is free for Wndows and processes batches of videos in the background (albeit slowly if you have a less capable computer) would be your best bet. The Zamzar online free service might also work for you, and the edit in VLC Player - it's an editor, not just a player. You can do basic edits and there are TONS of online tutorials for Windows users.

Good luck and let us know how you make out.

thank you! I'll give VLC Player a try-
for Premier Rush, I've been able to select/add about 10-12 videos, maybe 14-15 minutes total- many are mostly garbage because I forgot to stop recording.. I've been able to cut and then trash the unwanted parts for 3 or 4, then I will get notice that I need the HEVC Video Extensions, which I have already purchased At this point, my computer is frozen and I have to close and end Rush to unfreeze it. And I have to restart to be able to continue editing. I've received notice that some buffer was dangerously low on storage making the computer at risk for malicious hackers.. not sure what this is about. For ClipChamp, when I select multiple videos to add, the computer just freezes up. I've been successfuly editing 2 or 3 at a time, but that's not how I plan on using it.

Wild stab in the dark. Make sure you have other Creative Cloud apps closed when using Rush. This seems to be a somewhat similar configuration.

I'm out of my Windows depth here. I'm sure others on this forum may be more helpful. Good luck

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom