Gopro HERO 9 versus older Sony RX100VI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JasperLuijkx

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi all!

I've been wandering this forum for quite some months now. Looking, as many others, for a good step-up from gopro.
My current rig consists of an Ikelite tray, 2x weefine 2300 video lights and a gopro hero 9 + backscatter flip with macro 15+ /10+

I shoot ONLY video, never photo's
Reason for the upgrade: The low light performance (1" CMOS sensor) and ability to zoom (manta's, individual fish)
Reason to stay with gopro: Impressive stabilisation, high resolutions and framerates, to make footage even more stable

Choice to be made: To buy a UW housing for RX100VI for 200,- (And use the RX100VI of a friend)
Or: To use the gopro hero 10 (same dimensions) of another friend, and being able to use the flip-lenses

This may be a no-brainer for most people, but I need to underline the fact that I will only use it for video.
Could you advice me?

Below some close-ups made with my macro flip 15+ and 10+

I have an almost identical set-up AND an RX100VI of my own that I considered a housing for.

In the end, I decided to stick with my GoPro. Here's why:

1. Cost: A respectable housing for the RX100VI is worth 4 GoPros. I certainly wouldn't put a $1,000 camera in a $200 housing. Add to that a new set of video lights to go with that longer reach of the Sony, buoyancy compensators, and suddenly you're looking at $2,000 - $3,000 for this upgrade. Never mind the added lens on the housing if you want to use the Sony's telephoto....then you're stuck with vignetting if you have the lens but don't use the tele! Then there's the risk of a blown seal on the housing, the risk of dropping the thing, and the risk of getting the stink-eye and shake down from 3rd world airport security when they see high end photo gear. Used gear prices are dropping with time, but not fast enough to make this math work out. Those Nauticam housings are damn sexy, but like Swedish supermodels, they're just outta my range.
  2. Ease of use: Even a moray eel could use a GoPro. Despite being relatively proficient with my RX100VI, I still fumble with the settings from time to time. I do NOT want to be scrolling through menus when swimming through a bait ball. With the GoPro, I have an underwater pre-set that suits my set-up and is simple to post process with DaVinci.
  3. Watching video: No one's going to see the difference between GoPro and RX100VI 4K footage when they watch it on their phone. In fact, with GoPro's stabilization, they're far likelier to sit through your entire video whereas the Sony's footage might send them hurling with motion sickness. I PP with twin 4K monitors and find action footage shot with the GoPro superior. Of course, the Sony footage is better for slow-panning scenics, but underwater, everything is "action".

BTW that close-up footage above, is actually pretty good... You should've shot it in 4k!

Here's some of my GoPro footage:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom