Sony RX100 VII VS Panasonic Lx10

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Delojo

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello:

I apologise in advance if any of this was discussed before. Some part has been previously discussed but not most of it or, at least, I could not find it.

Sorry but I am very new to all this world (apart from gopros..) so some of my questions may be stupid.

I am considering buying one of these cameras together with the Ikelite housing My aim is to shoot stills and video on both topside and underwater but MAINLY underwater video. I would also like the camera to be as versatile as possible so I could shoot wide-angle, macro, etc. I already own 2 bigblue video lights 10k lumens each. I am looking for advise/guidance

Questions:

1- Sony . After searching on the internet, on a few websites they say one of the downsides of the Sony camera is that, due to the zoom range (200mm), you could not shoot both wide-angle and macro on the same dive as you would need to use a different port. The ikelite housing allows full zoom. Wouldnt this be enough for macro shots? So in this case, would I be able to shoot semi wide angle and macro? ( please note in this case I would use NO wet lenses)

2-Panasonic. If due to this bad point (question 1) I decide to go for the panasonic camera, provided I would use no wet lenses, wouldnt I be in a worse situation than the above ( worse macro, same/worse wide angle?)

3- Panasonic. if wet lenses are a must, I have seen the ikelite housing has the chance of installing a flip adaptor, so I could flip on and off the macro wet lens during a dive.
- Whats getting you better macro? Sony withouh wet lense using the zoom VS panasonic with the wet lens
- What about the wide angle lens? the port is a thread 67mm. Could I put it on and off during a dive? is there a bayonet option?

4 - Sony. If wet lenses are a must, according to Ikelite I would have to change the port to a 3 inches ,67mm thread unabling the full zoom use. Wouldnt that take me to the exact same situation in terms of versality as using the Panasonic with the ikelite housing ? ( same port so same wet lenses possibilities/necessities) . If this is right, I do not really understand why you can shoot both macro and wide angle on the same dive with the panasonic but not with the sony.

5 - Would a change of housing solve any of the issues above?

6 - Is the flash of these cameras any good underwater? (maybe for macro???) . Would the video lights help anyhow for the stills?

7 - Considering I am currently using a gopro hero 7 black with the 2 bigblue lights. Would a change to any to the cameras above mean a noticeable improvement on the underwater videos?

Sorry for the long text and thanks a million in advance

Happy new year to all of you

Safe diving

Jorge

1- Sony . After searching on the internet, on a few websites they say one of the downsides of the Sony camera is that, due to the zoom range (200mm), you could not shoot both wide-angle and macro on the same dive as you would need to use a different port. The ikelite housing allows full zoom. Wouldnt this be enough for macro shots? So in this case, would I be able to shoot semi wide angle and macro? ( please note in this case I would use NO wet lenses)

I use Nauticam housing but to answer your question, 200mm is probably much too zoomed in to be able to shoot wide angle properly. You can shoot both wide angle and macro but it would require less zoom. For Nauticam housing, this requires a short port which doesn't allow the sony to zoom all the way. Then you can easily swap out lenses. I'm not sure about the ikelite setup but I'm sure theres a similar solution.

4 - Sony. If wet lenses are a must, according to Ikelite I would have to change the port to a 3 inches ,67mm thread unabling the full zoom use. Wouldnt that take me to the exact same situation in terms of versality as using the Panasonic with the ikelite housing ? ( same port so same wet lenses possibilities/necessities) . If this is right, I do not really understand why you can shoot both macro and wide angle on the same dive with the panasonic but not with the sony.

Yes you are right, using the 67mm would allow you to shoot both wide and macro.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom