Upgrading - Sony A7RV or Alternatives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
MrTW

MrTW

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Picking brains....

I have been shooting on a Panasonic Lumix LX10 in a Nauticam housing for the last 7 years shortly after it got released. Got about 300+ dives on my current setup and have been shooting mostly macro during that time.

I am a sure lifelong learner when it comes to UW photography but would consider to be experienced with regards to the overall framework (buoyancy, handling of camera/settings, shooting modes, composition, etc.).

Now, while the LX10 is a fun camera, I feel its time for an upgrade.

I am currently considering the Sony A7RV for the very fast majority of still photography and only some occasional video shooting on very rare circumstances. The plan is to start extending from macro to wide angle shooting over time.

Now, since this is a significant invest and I am not planning on changing setups for a several years after, I would like to pick brains to get feedback on a upgrade within the price range of the Sony A7RV in a Nauticam housing including suitable macro (priority) and WA lenses.

Any thoughts are highly appreciated!

The newer a7cii and a7cr share a lot of the attributes and capabilities of the a7rv in a smaller, less expensive package. They might be worth considering. I have the a7rv and it is an exceptional camera, but I only use it above water.

The newer a7cii and a7cii share a lot of the attributes and capabilities of the a7cv in a smaller, less expensive package. They might be worth considering. I have the a7rv and it is an exceptional camera, but I only use it above water.

Excellent - will definitely look into this!

Do you have any recommendations on a suitable macro lens?

I mainly shoot manual focus lenses. I do have a Sigma 105mm DG DN Art which is reputed to be one of the sharpest lenses around, but might be too long for your use.
Check out the Fred Miranda and DPReview sites for forums dedicated to Sony cameras and lenses. Neither site has a lot of info on UW, specifically. Fred Miranda has a great Buy/Sell board for used equipment.
Oops: On my above post take the second a7cii and make it a a7cr ! The a7cii is 33mp and the a7cr is 61mp, like the a7rv.

Do you already have adequate strobes?

Body, housing, ports and lenses for that Sony will cost around $12-15K. I would consider a used system that includes all of that. Maybe an earlier sony or nikon system.

I shoot A7 R3 in Sea and Sea housing. Sony 90 mm macro is the lens u want. Friends also use Ikelite housing at a much cheaper price point. Personally, I don’t see Nauticam as good value. Save money for good strobes. Smaller form factor of other camera bodies becomes nonfactor when you put it in th housing

Hilljo88 is correct, if your going the sony route you'll want to get the 90mm. I'm using a sony a6600 and i use the 90mm for when I shoot macro and it works well. I could tell a big difference of focus speed between a sony a6400 and the a6600 when using a 90mm, it didn't hunt focus nearly as long.

Since your going to remain with photo as primary and you shoot a lot of macro - I'd continue down the route with A7RV (if the price doesn't scare you away) over the a7cii personally. I prefer having the faster flash sync speed with strobes (which I only get 1/160 with my a6600). You'd be at 1/160 on with the a7cii, the same as my a6600 and the a7c. The A7RV i believe was 1/250......plus the 61mp would give you some crazy cropping capabilities on your macro shots.

As of right now, I plan to upgrade to a full frame at the end of 2024 and will be looking into the A7RV currently (may look at Nikon Z8, but some of my stuff from the a6600 can carry over to the A7RV).

For wide angle I shoot Canon 15 mm f2.8 on mc11 adapter in dome port. SONY underwater WA lens choices are varied and not as much of a consensus choice as is the 90 for macro. You might want to check out Alex Mustard’s YouTube vids. He recently adopted the A7Rv after years of shooting Nikon.

Do you already have adequate strobes?

Body, housing, ports and lenses for that Sony will cost around $12-15K. I would consider a used system that includes all of that. Maybe an earlier sony or nikon system.

I replaced my S&S YS-D2 with a Backscatter MF-2 plus snoot after the S&S flooded last year. That should be sufficient for macro for now.

Overall cost are a huge consideration - the A7CII or A7CR are significantly cheaper (and smaller), which makes them very attractive compared to the A7RV.

I am located in Western Australia and solid used equipment for a reasonable price vs. new is not plentiful.

For wide angle I shoot Canon 15 mm f2.8 on mc11 adapter in dome port. SONY underwater WA lens choices are varied and not as much of a consensus choice as is the 90 for macro. You might want to check out Alex Mustard’s YouTube vids. He recently adopted the A7Rv after years of shooting Nikon.

The Sony 90mm seems to be a solid choice for macro on that setup.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom