Gopro video lights: L&M F 2000 vs Kraken Hydra 2800

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello fellow boardies!

I've been diving with a Gopro 4 Black edition equipped with a polar red filter for quite some time and I'm thinking of upgrading to a rig with lights. For my rig, I have the intention of purchasing the following:

- boomerang tray with arms;
- upgrading my filter to a backscatter 5 with the macro lens;
- having two flood lights for recording gopro videos.

I'm narrowing my choices more and more but there are a lot of dive lights out there!

I would like to know your opinions between the 2 models mentionned in my thread title. The notable differences I see are the following:

L&M F 2000:

- 60 degree beam angle (not sure is this is wide enough because of the very wide angle the gopro has but maybe having 2 lights dosent make it a problem)
- great reputation everywhere I read about them;
- integrated battery (what happens after a few years when the battery needs to be changed? Also, can't switch batteries between dives)
- at 100% usage lasts 50 mins

Kraken Hydra 2800:

- 110 degree beam angle (might not be as effective as the L&M because the beam is so wide);
- reputation wise, its hard for me to find reviews on this product, i think I-torch is a good company though;
- more versatile, can be flood or spot lights, infrared, uv;
- batteries are not integrated (to me that sounds like a big plus, you can change the batteries between dives and you can buy new ones after years of usage)
- at 100% usage lasts 70 mins.

If you guys have any experience with any of these products would love to read them.

Thank you in advance!

Alright well I see many read my post but maybe my question was too specific lol Anywhos... I ended up buying a pair of sola 3800s from light and motion. Thought the extra few hundred dollars would be a good investment in the long run as I want to keep these lights for quite some time but I will probably upgrade to a mirrorless camera that has 4k eventually, like the sony a65000. Good lights will be useful even then for making videos anyway.

Thank you for those who took the time to read my post! :) I can post my comments once I have used them if some would be interested.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom