Got refused boat dives due to 12 month break

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Do dive computers formally count as logs? I never physically log dives any more (yes, I'm lazy-no need to flame me to prove it) but average about 20 every 3-4 months and always offer to show the dive op my computer. Nobody has ever taken up on it but they do ask for my nitrox card.
Most respectable ops are clear that if you haven't been wet in 6 months or longer you've gotta get some refreshin'. But nobody has actually checked my computer.

Another option if you don't want to put in the practice time is to abandon your open water certification and do discover scuba classes on vacation.

you guys may have not heard of the incident in Cabo last year. They are being more careful than usual. Two dive operations are closed due to that incident not to mention the fatality.

you guys may have not heard of the incident in Cabo last year. They are being more careful than usual. Two dive operations are closed due to that incident not to mention the fatality.

The only incident in Cabo in the last year or so of which I am aware is one that had nothing at all to do with the experience level of the divers. Perhaps you can provide a link so that we may be enlightened.

right that it has nothing to do with experience. I know some of the operators in Cabo and they have been affected by this incident. they are watching everything more closely. Toronto SUN

My stats are not stellar. Fewer than a 1000 dives in over 35 years, but then I did take about 10 years off. The last 13 years or so I tried to get about fifty in a year averaging like 2 evert other weekend. The last 3 years I admit I haven't made those numbers. Sooooo.....if I've been dry for a few weeks I will refresh at the rather benign Blue Heron Bridge Marine Park shore diving site. I also get to dial in my weights before heading out to the big boy boats.

The freaking winds have been howling since October. I have 2 dives in since. :(

I'd like to point out that fade happens as quick as 1 month, probably less. 12 months is pretty arbitrary; someone who dove 11 mo, 29 days ago is still a master but someone 12 mo and 1 day is not? Of course not.

Absolutely. However, the dive operator has to draw a line somewhere.
That's why there is variation; some draw it at 6 months, others at 12.

Also, bear in mind that there is emphasis on the divers themselves - conducting some honest self-appraisal and, in line with what they were taught on OW course, making a prudent decision about their own need for update-training, in order to maintain safe diving practices.

In that sense, the 12 month 'line in the sand' is just a fail-safe by the dive operator, to rectify divers who have forgotten to apply that principle on their own volition.

So it would seem that everyone would need a refresher course on emergency procedures no matter how many dives you've logged.

There is a undeniable logic to that. Developing experience as a diver doesn't necessarily entail the maintenance of core skills. This is something that is often highlighted, and lamented, by experienced divers/instructors here on Scubaboard.... with the advice to practice/maintain such skills being given frequently.

Progression of training/continued education does solve that problem somewhat. Many instructors will ensure familiarity with core skills on AOW courses - they certainly ensure (and develop) that at Rescue Diver level. I, like many instructors, include a review and refresher in every course I teach, regardless of subject.

I'm not directing this at the OP personally, but the issue isn't "should you do a refresher because someone is making you",and ways to get around it.The real issue is what is your life worth ? My wife and I are vacation divers ( one week, twice a year ) and we always do a pool sesssion before a trip, working on drills and the what ifs. It takes a couple hours, $40 each for the pool time.
It really paid off one time when we had our gear serviced and found out one of the octos were set too sensitive and free flowed. Better in the pool than in the ocean. It's also good to practice setting up the gear so we actually look like we know what we are doing on the boat.( Where does this thingie go ?)

Another idea.... ok a friend of mine has some old scuba equipment that he doesn't want any more. Until now, I never thought to take it because I didn't want to maintain it (and so would rent instead).

However, what if I take this equipment and maintain it enough to do pool practice dives? I would never actually use it do scuba more than 15' and no where but a pool.

Scuba equipment should be maintained properly no matter where or to what depth you are using it. You don't mention if that equipment includes a tank, but it shouldn't be filled if it has not been viz'd within 1 year and within 5 years of a hydro. All of your gear is your life support.

My LDS charges $25 for a refresher in the pool, so hopefully you can find something more reasonable in your area. You may be able to ask the cruise/dive op if it would count if you practice skills in the pool and log it as a dive if someone verifies that you did that? Some LDS' have practice pool nights or Discover Scuba experiences where you could practice for your own benefit even if they won't officially count.

I've encountered the recent experience or check-out dive requirement several times in the last 6 years or so. In Belize, before doing the Blue Hole with our dive op, everyone needed to be observed on other dives before being allowed to book the Blue Hole, even my Instructor dive buddy.

In the Florida Keys, we were informed by the dive op that everyone had to have logged dives within the last 6 months. I was prepared to show them my log book/computer, but no one followed up. However, I was travelling with a group and the LDS owner had already vouched for us.

In Egypt, everyone was required to do a check-out dive before doing any boat dive. I booked it the afternoon I got there to not lose the full day dives the rest of the week. Through email in advance, they asked for my training agency, certification #, date of last dive, depth and temp/conditions of the last dive. When I got there, they had it handy and asked if that was still my last dive 2 weeks ago and checked my log book and asked for my computer, verifying the info and looking at previous dives. We splashed, did a weighting check, I hovered patiently while they did a few skills with others and off we went. No big deal and we had a good shore dive.

So yes, I'd say that more dive ops seem to be taking an interest in recent dive experience, so I'd rather be prepared than sorry. If you book your own dives wherever possible or find out the policies of the dive op the cruise is using, you can find out in advance and be prepared. Though it would serve you well to be prepared anyway...

In Israel its law that unless you can show a dive log that you have dove in the last 6 months, you need to do a "Refresh Dive" with an instructor, that includes predive review of equipment and in the water skills drill. The only other option would be to do a "Discover Scuba" which does not require any certification at all.

I have seen it enforced numerous times.
I think its a good idea. Glad that this isn't the only place on earth that sets this sort of standard.

I just had an "aha" thought after I read your post. I transfer my dive data from my two dive computers onto my home computer. I don't take my home computer with me, so before I book another boat dive away from home, I will have my buddies sign off on my paper logbook which I still have. Perhaps some of the Ops can look at our dive computers however I don't mind doing a pre-dive checkout. safety and security for all! Thanks for giving me the "aha!" So much planning goes into dive vacations, would be frustrating to be turned away and my husband is a non-diver so I rely on the skills of dive buddies I have never dove with before. :thumb:

---------- Post added May 1st, 2012 at 12:00 AM ----------

I don't mean this as a criticism but I would not want to make my first dive in over a year with rented, unfamiliar gear, condition unknown, off a boat and with a rent-a-buddy. That would be just to much of a task load to start an OW dive with for me.
Have a great time in Hawaii !

I agree with you 100%, even if it is a cold water dive, I take my drysuit and all. No matter where I dive when I travel, all of my own gear (if i fly tanks and weights stay at home, and I have a copy of the tank charts that show the different weights of all steels and aluminums so I can adjust weights accordingly) goes with me because I know of it's serviceable condition, and I know my configuration. It takes any stress off of the dive because I always know where my weight drops are, knife etc. So much more comfortable knowing it's a quick reach to the item!

This thread has a lot of great advice, glad you found us!!

Back
Top Bottom