Got the DC1400 and a strobe, now what?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Swelbo1

Registered
Reaction score
I got the DC1400 and a strobe. I was thinking of either getting another strobe or would yall recommend the video light? What is yalls thoughts. Thanks.

I found the white balance features on the camera sufficient for shooting video. It remembers your setting when switching from stills to video. As an example, you can have the white balance set up for auto while taking stills with the strobe and then switch over to the video mode and set the white balance to say, >25 feet blue water (or whatever setting looks best in the view finder). When switching back and forth between modes, it will remember. For that reason, I would probably go for another strobe. Can't have too much light for your photos.

Consider some of these other benefits of adding on the SeaLife SL980 Photo-Video light:
- Helps the camera's auto focus find the optimal focus point in low light conditions.
- Allows you to see the subject on the display in very low light conditions (night, cave, wreck, etc)
- Use it as a dive light to spot critters hiding in shadows and crevices
- Brightens pictures and videos inside 2 to 3ft.

If you don't plan any diving in night or dark light conditions, the flash may be the better choice. Two flashes helps to reduce the shadowing effect by evenly illuminate the subject from both sides.

Hope that helps.

Sealife 1200 with WA Lens and Strobe.jpg

Hi everyone,

I was testing a SeaLife 1200 set-up last year with both the video light and flash. I absolutely loved it.

I found the video light really useful for adding colour to underwater videos as well as being able to use it as a focusing light when in darker conditions, such as dusk or night dives. The flash really helps to bring out those lovely vivid colours of our undersea world, both the gorgeous pink and red corals as well as super-enhancing your blue background. It is particularly helpful on night-dives, such as when this picture was taken at Emperor Diver's resort in Nuweiba under the pier whilst leading a trip last year.

What I found incredible about SeaLife cameras compared to other set-ups that I have regularly worked with in over 10 years of using compact cameras, was that when I left the camera to choose it's own settings, it gave me amazingly accurate results. Absolutely perfect for beginners or those who don't want to fumble about with buttons on their dive.

Manual white balance is great and the underwater settings on this set-up also, but if you can get a flash, do, it really gives you an extra dimension to your photos in terms of colours and vibrancy.

Best of luck!

Maria

Author of "Underwater Photography for Compact Camera Users" .... using compact cameras underwater since 2001 ...

I got the second flash. How do y'all suggest I angle the flashes when shooting? When do y'all use the macro and super macro setting?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom