Gradient Factors in Use

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Huh???

Are there incorrect statements in this thread?

I don't think there have been any incorrect statements in this thread. I am sure that some will pop up, they always do. This was just my attempt at humor, nothing serious intended or implied.

Michael,

regardless of what people here post their GF to be, they DON'T KNOW!
Yes, I say it again! YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT GF YOU D I V E! Because what you put into your computer is not necessarily what you dive! For example: you have to ascend at 30 ft/min to all your stops to match the GF that you dialed into the computer. I don't know of any current computer manufacturer who will let you review the ACTUAL GF you dived post-dive.

I dial in an 80/90 but due to my slower ascent rates, I dive something less than that. However, on a really bad day, I can get out of the water faster. Typically, I also add a few minutes to my 20 and 10 foot stops.

In all seriousness, IMHO this is not a discussion for a recreational forum.

I don't know of any current computer manufacturer who will let you review the ACTUAL GF you dived post-dive.

Not sure about post dive, but the SW computers will show you your GF on ascent, tab through to the GF99

hence why it's in the technical diving forum.

Not sure about post dive, but the SW computers will show you your GF on ascent, tab through to the GF99

hence why it's in the technical diving forum.

The Shearwater will NOT show you what GF you dove. Something we have been suggesting to Bruce for a while now.

Michael,

regardless of what people here post their GF to be, they DON'T KNOW!
Yes, I say it again! YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT GF YOU D I V E! Because what you put into your computer is not necessarily what you dive! For example: you have to ascend at 30 ft/min to all your stops to match the GF that you dialed into the computer. I don't know of any current computer manufacturer who will let you review the ACTUAL GF you dived post-dive.

I agree with that. But it's a target that you shoot for. I even said above that although my GF high is set to 85, I usually get out of the water in what my computer says are the low to mid 70s, so I recognize that these are just targets we're trying to stay within. But a target of 30 and a target of 80 are different enough that you should be able to know which you're closer to.

Why not? What's wrong with discussing a common technical diving issue in a technical diving forum? Where would I discuss it if I only have access to recreational forums?

Why not? What's wrong with discussing a common technical diving issue in a technical diving forum? Where would I discuss it if I only have access to recreational forums?[/QUOTE]

Sorry Michael. I just think that just because this forum has a "tech" section, does not make it a tech forum. There are just too many recreational divers on here that might get a wrong impression resulting in worped applications. i.e. deep stops when doing 100 ft dives. etc.

If I am not mistaken, I think I saw you on TDS or Rebreatherworld. Those forums cater to the tech divers rather than recreational. Again, this was just my humble opinion. :)

Why not? What's wrong with discussing a common technical diving issue in a technical diving forum? Where would I discuss it if I only have access to recreational forums?

Sorry Michael. I just think that just because this forum has a "tech" section, does not make it a tech forum. There are just too many recreational divers on here that might get a wrong impression resulting in worped applications. i.e. deep stops when doing 100 ft dives. etc.

If I am not mistaken, I think I saw you on TDS or Rebreatherworld. Those forums cater to the tech divers rather than recreational. Again, this was just my humble opinion. :)[/QUOTE]

Scubaboard has a Tec section for a reason. I think it's an appropriate discussion.

Dan-O

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

If I am not mistaken, I think I saw you on TDS or Rebreatherworld. Those forums cater to the tech divers rather than recreational. Again, this was just my humble opinion. :)

Gross, I think I just got some paternalism on my dive boot. :vomit:

And as pointed out above, regardless of whether a SW will show what you dove, it will show your actual GF during the dive. Thus, if you're interested in knowing how close you are to hitting your actual GF LO when you arrive at your first stop, you only need look at the GF99 data. Though if you're ascending much too slowly, the SW will probably attempt to compensate for your behavior by triggering a deeper first stop.

Well, I appreciate you posting your GFs despite your reticence.

Mike

If someone is stupid enough to try and apply deco models or tech diving techniques without the proper training, then that is entirely their responsibility and their problem if something goes wrong - Scubaboard members are not responsible or liable in anyway.

This is a very interesting thread in the appropriate section of Scubaboard. Please carry on the discussion.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom