Grand Cayman Activities

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My buddy stays at TNI and dives with Ocean Frontiers. Ask about Babylon among other dives. It's actually a shore dive also but I think you'd have to get tanks in Georegetown - I've not read that OF:
Babylon is a long surface swim from shore. I use to work for Ocean Frontiers and we dived Babylon from the boat. It is a nice dive. You can request to dive Babylon, but it will depend on direction of the winds as to whether or not OF will dive it.

There are three really good dive sites on the East End: The Maze, 100 feet; Snapper Hole, approx, 50 feet or so; and Iron Shore Gardens, about 55 feet. The last two are full of swim throughs.

I have heard the bioluminescence bay tours mentioned but don't know anything about them, just you tell us more about the tours and the experience, thanks!
Bioluminescence bay is located off Rum Point, on the North side of Cayman. We boarded out of the Cayman Yacht Club in West Bay, and crossed the bay - took about 20 minutes. Once in the bay, they anchored - it's about 5 feet of water, got a quick briefing, and jumped in. Just a mask and snorkel is all we needed.

As soon as we got in, the first thing I observed is the bioluminescence was about 2 orders of magnitude greater than anything I've ever seen on a night dive. The plankton also seemed smaller, and these were blue, not the green that I've seen on night dives. The best way to describe it, is when I pushed my hand through the water, it was like watching a Disney cartoon or something. Thick sparkly trails off my hand and arm. When moving my face quickly, they built up on my mask.

The best is most definitely when there is no ambient light - so a moonless night, or in our case using the shadow of the boat and the tarp they provided. Once in this darkness, the bioluminescence becomes that more visible. Without any motion, just gentle drifting through the water, these little pinpoints of blue light just swirl around your body. We could have stared at it for hours.

The boat tours are better, as you don't actually swim on the kayak tours. Don't bother with photos. Our photo pro brought his Canon 7D mark II and said there was way too little light, even with half second exposures and the ISO on HI2 (51,200.)

We went with Georges Watersports who was very good.

Although it's a couple of years old now, here is our trip report. Enjoy!
My little dive report
Wow. Great report! I love your emphasis on shore dives. We have already planned pretty full days of boats but once we arrive and if you are willing, I may pm weather and sea conditions and see if you think its right for some of the shore dives you mentioned. We have shore experience but not Cayman experience.

Some general questions that has come up as I pack...

Car rental insurance. On Bonaire we get the full coverage. What are the recommendations for GC?

For shore dives. Dive flags?

Din vs yoke. I am assuming yoke.

Thanks to everyone for their insights and suggestions. 10 days and counting...

For shore diving conditions there will probably be others exiting just ask them if it is undiveable the Ops will not allow you in the water.

Car insurance we put it under our home coverage and use an Amex card ...be aware that there will additional fees such as TAX and the cost of a "visitors license" and I think there is an "environmental fee" also this is not included in the package deal.

No dive flags

Mostly yoke.

Last edited:
Mostly yoke but I'd think Divetech has some DIN tanks - or convertable valves - since you're diving with them.

But IDK since all we asked for was yoke. There we might've rented Al-100's also - I often ask.

Divetech.com - Tanks and More Tanks

Last year somebody posted they have a no rental removal from the property policy also now.

Last edited:
We do have AL80's with DIN valves. Contact us if you'd like to reserve some. :)
Thanks. Eric is DIN only and he already has 100's reserved with you but he has his adaptor packed so no worries. I can do either so I will just bring my yoke set.

BTW. Do you have pony bottles available?

We have a variety of smaller tanks, from AL13's & AL19's up to AL40's. The AL40's come with stage rigging, for the smaller tanks you'd need to provide your own mounting brackets. What size were you looking for?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom