Grand Cayman- split time sunshine suites and cobalt ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Phylica

Registered
Reaction score
I have 9 nights and have never been to Grand cayman. It will be myself and 12 year old daughter.i can't decide which would be best to do. Spilt our time between the two locations since we will be diving , so we can see the town area and seven mile beach or just stay the whole time at the sunshine suites or cobalt coast. Any suggestions welcome.

I would stay at the Sunshine Suites - the location near 7 mile means there is more to do after diving.

You can dive Cobalt even if you're not staying there. We stayed at Morritts and dove everywhere. If it were me, stay at one, rent a car and then go & dive where you want.

This may sound like a commerical, but its not. :) check out "Living the Dream" dive op in GC. Dove with them last year, picked up from our hotel and returned each day. Were always on time. Only take out I think 8 divers each trip, so uncrowded boats, customer service very good. We had a couple younger people join us, which were around your daughters age, and the dive op worked very well with them. You can get around GC pretty easy by catching a mini van, only costs a couple bucks, and will give you the opportunity to meet the locals, if you like that kind of thing. Taxi much more $. 7 mile beach has a lot of really good restaurants.

I would stay at the Sunshine Suites - the location near 7 mile means there is more to do after diving.
I agree...Cobalt Coast isn't far enough away to stay there also. And it's in a real quiet area. If you don't eat there you'll be driving to Macabuca/Cracked Conch or further south for food. Or Papagallo to the east. It's in a residential area so there's not a lot nearby.

If you plan to dive at Cobalt Coast they have another location at Lighthouse Point nearby also. And the best shore dive IMO is at Turtle Reef between them. SunDivers is on-site there and Ollin has an arrangement with Happy Fish Divers is you want a DM/guide.

It's maybe 10 minutes drive from Sunshine Suites. If you cut through the West Bay neighborhood it's 4 miles. If you follow West Bay Rd. around it's closer to 5.

Divers Down is the in-house operator at Sunshine suites. I'm not sure if they have a location on-site. http://www.diversdown.net/sunshinesuites.html

Now if you were talking about Ocean Frontiers and Compass Point on the East End that would be different as it can take 45+ mins. to drive out there. Morritt's from there would be a solid hour drive.

I, on the other hand, would split time between the two. It's nice to be away from it all for a couple of days and not have to deal with Miami Beach South for 9 straight nights. The ease of being able to walk out of your room, grab a couple of tanks and get a quick dive in should not be underestimated. I would start at Cobalt Coast and dive your brains out for a couple of days, then go to Sunshine Suites maybe do some more diving, enjoy the beach and the other water sports (jet skiing, para-sailing, snorkeling, sailing, etc., etc.), the restaurants and the night life (granted the night life for a 12 year old is rather limited).

I would split time between SMB and Compass Point and dive with Ocean Frontiers as much as possible out on the East End. That way you get the East End diving but also get the SMB for everyone else.

Ocean Frontiers is pure glamour diving. That is, go to Compass pointe, drop of your gear and when you go diving it is on the boat rigged all the way or as much as you want rigged. When you are through, leave it on the boat, come back the next day and gear is ready to go. Each dive trip features a safety briefing and once on the reef, an actual dive plan. Their dive masters are knowledgeable and interesting people. And the East end has a lot too offer-more laid back and rustic. While the SMB is quite the opposite.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom