Grand Cayman

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'll be heading to Grand Cayman on a cruise ship in late December; thinking about taking my son (age 14) with me on a fairly shallow dive - it'd be his first blue-water experience. Any recommendations as to who to dive with and where to dive? What are the water temps like in late December?

Thanks,
Matt

If you are coming on a ship, do eden rock/devils grotto. They are right there at the docks and VERY easy diving. You can get gear right at Eden Rock dive center and walk into the water down a set of stairs.

Water temps are about 79 in summer and about 78 in winter.

To the OP, there is a TON or great diving on Grand Cayman. I did about 100 dives there over 4 trips. Never had a bad dive. If you want to do some boat diving consider Ocean Frontiers on the other end of the island. Those sites get less pressure and they are the best dive op I have ever used, bar none, world wide.

Some may disagree but IMHO Eden Rock is a beat of pile of junk. Coincidentally it is one of the closest dives to the Cruise Ship terminal.

Sunset House is a little further away,nicer dive and slightly nicer service.

Sundivers at the Turtle Farm or Divetech at Lighthouse Point are aways from Georgetown but the diving is much better.Well worth the trip.

What are the currents like in Grand Cayman?

What are the currents like in Grand Cayman?

I have never really noticed any. I have dove all over the east end and all along the west coast. There might be a site with a big current somewhere but I have not run across it.

+1 for Ocean Frontiers. They were also able to blend whatever gas mixes we needed.

Hey all!
Me and my GF are planning on relocating to Grand Cayman for at least a year. I love Canada, but am looking to get somewhere warm for awhile! I am a Divemaster and looking to get my instructor once I get there. My GF is a real estate agent, but is willing to work different job. We are planning a trip down there, to get some info, and hopefully get set up with jobs before our move.

If anyone has any info on a good place for us to start we would greatly appreciate it! I like diving with the bigger marine life, but a mixture is good to. I see there are alot of dive sites in Georgetown and West End, but I would rather hear some info first hand! Any info is gladly taken! Thanks

Back
Top Bottom