Grand Turk is Dead - Long Live Grand Turk

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pilot fish:
Does anyone know how far the cruise ships are from the Osprey beach House Hotel?
The cruise ship dock is not within walking distance of the Osprey Beach Hotel, but it's an easy ride on a motor scooter. I'm sure the ships will have shore excursions that offer scooter rentals, island tours, bus transportation to the museum, etc.

When I was last there (11/04) there were only about 75 hotel rooms on the entire island, and I really can't imagine how the tourist infrastructure can accomodate 2,000 day-trippers and 24 ships per month.

tvictory:
The cruise ship dock is not within walking distance of the Osprey Beach Hotel, but it's an easy ride on a motor scooter. I'm sure the ships will have shore excursions that offer scooter rentals, island tours, bus transportation to the museum, etc.

When I was last there (11/04) there were only about 75 hotel rooms on the entire island, and I really can't imagine how the tourist infrastructure can accomodate 2,000 day-trippers and 24 ships per month.

Sounds like 2000 bored land lubbers in Bermuda shorts and Kodaks looking to find something to do on a quiet island?

Just heard back from Oasis Divers on GT. They said they do not mix cruise "divers" with diver guests staying on the island. They use different baots abd take them to different sites. That's a relief. They also said, as was said here earlier, the piers are not close to the Osprey Beach Hotel.

To add insult to injury, I dove the dredged area before they started constructing the new pier, last Feb., just to see. Smitty (Sea eye) was curious because he'd heard it could be like a new "pits" (home to many oddball critters) which was obliterated with the change. Well, not hardly. It was heart-stopping because it was as far as one could see in all directions, an utterly lifeless desert of whitish, fine sand-like material that was actually, ground up exploded coral. You could stick your arm in all the way up, no bottom to it. Just the material of obliterated reef. Truly it was like a coral holocaust.

A bunch of locals were gathered out at Chubby's talking about it, saying how this was a political deal not for the good of the island, as most of the money made will not stay on GT. They expect it to draw elements that will cause people to have to lock their doors at night, like many other cruise destination. Among other things, they also worried about how the removal of the reef will also remove a buffer against the next nasty hurricane, as this is one low-lying island.

I am with everyone else who hopes the good people of GT will get something good out of this...but some of the early signs are not that encouraging.

Will I have have my own, perhaps last look at the place, on my visit in late May.

I'm not to sure what to say hear even. I grew up in the Bahamas and Hati. Flew int G T with my father in 54 & 55. We landed on a salt flat. there was an old C46 cargo plan there that was used to haul lobster to Miami. The peole were poor but happy and seemed to enjoy a life style that has gone the way of the dodo bird.

Wen't to Salt Cay last week and enjoyed it very much. Not much changed there-- the runway is paved! People there hope that the crusie ship , 9mi away, on GT won't effect them, but it probably will as some of the pod people learn about it and try to change it. Damn shame!!

My .02 We are trying to turn the whole damned Carabian into a North American " Disney Land" for the rich!!! All you poor proud people get out or suffer the consequences!!!

Can any one spell ugly American??

It's sad to see the cruise ships have moved in at GT. I was there about 2years ago and loved the quietness of the island. I stayed at the Arawak Inn, next to where the cruise center is. Loved the beach that was there but I heard the Arawak Inn had burnt down sometime last year- any news on that? Loved the diving there with the short boat rides- lots to see (dove with Sea Eye Diving). When we were there we heard rumors that the cruise lines were looking but hope that wasn't true.
Ray

Just got back from a week in Grand Turk. Two cruise ships were there on Saturday: one arrived early and left early; the other arrived later and left later. We dove that day with Oasis and, as reported, they did not mix cruise ship people with other divers. Even though the weather was bad that was our best day of diving. Frankly, for all the hype we heard from locals and from people on this forum, it wasn't much of an event. We were there a week with great weather every day except the day the cruise ships arrived when it rained most of the day (some will take that as a sign). Perhaps the rain discouraged folks from leaving the ship but I doubt it. Most likely those we saw already had reservations for activities they couldn't cancel. The island is certainly small and not prepared for lots of cruise ship visitors but I suspect it will be a very long time before those cruise ship passengers have much of an effect on the island. We did visit Margaritaville the day the cruise ships arrived, on the advice of a local, to see what all the hype was about. The pool, the largest in the Caribbean supposedly, was semi-filled with locals who also occupied the bar area. Not many cruise ship passengers were seen. In fact, the last time a cruise ship docked on GT, other bars on the island lost money hoping to cater to cruise ship passengers (and locals) who were all at the pier. I'm sure that will change over time but it will be slow.

Don't know about the Arawak, but there is now a hotel next door called the Ocean Sands that will be expanding to accommodate cruise ship passengers with a beach bar, etc.

Time will tell.....

What hotel did you stay at, Amy? How was Oasis Dive Op? How was the diving? I'm going in early May so any info would be appreciated.

Still can't figure out why Cruise ships would want to dock at such a quiet and uneventful place like GT?

Amy WJ:
Just got back from a week in Grand Turk. Two cruise ships were there on Saturday: one arrived early and left early; the other arrived later and left later. We dove that day with Oasis and, as reported, they did not mix cruise ship people with other divers. Even though the weather was bad that was our best day of diving. Frankly, for all the hype we heard from locals and from people on this forum, it wasn't much of an event. We were there a week with great weather every day except the day the cruise ships arrived when it rained most of the day (some will take that as a sign). Perhaps the rain discouraged folks from leaving the ship but I doubt it. Most likely those we saw already had reservations for activities they couldn't cancel. The island is certainly small and not prepared for lots of cruise ship visitors but I suspect it will be a very long time before those cruise ship passengers have much of an effect on the island. We did visit Margaritaville the day the cruise ships arrived, on the advice of a local, to see what all the hype was about. The pool, the largest in the Caribbean supposedly, was semi-filled with locals who also occupied the bar area. Not many cruise ship passengers were seen. In fact, the last time a cruise ship docked on GT, other bars on the island lost money hoping to cater to cruise ship passengers (and locals) who were all at the pier. I'm sure that will change over time but it will be slow.

Don't know about the Arawak, but there is now a hotel next door called the Ocean Sands that will be expanding to accommodate cruise ship passengers with a beach bar, etc.

Time will tell.....

reeldive:
My .02 We are trying to turn the whole damned Carabian into a North American " Disney Land" for the rich!!! All you poor proud people get out or suffer the consequences!!!

Can any one spell ugly American??

Can anyone spell "Complain to your government"?

Cruise ships don't simply wander around looking for a port. They're invited by the island's government. If you don't like the ships on your island, now you know where to complain.

If your government isn't responsive, you have a much bigger problem than just unwanted tourists.

Terry

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom