Greasing Yoke thread?????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LI Diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Ok guys I get the feeling I'm going to get blasted on this one but here goes... My first stage is always hard (really hard) to get off a tank to switch over in between dives. I purge all the air out first of course. Sometimes it works to turn the whole yoke back and forth to get the knob to turn. Sometimes it don't. I don't really tighten it down nearly as hard. Could I sparingly apply a waterproof grease to the threaded rod that clamps it to the tank ?? :06:

Hey that was too easy, So what do I use like the silicone grease that I use on my camera housing or like the lubriplate that I use on my boat trailer bearings??

Definately the silicone. While lube from the yoke screw is unlikely to migrate into the reg, it's still a good rule to only use food-safe product on a regulator and avoid "garage" products.

However the problem may not be the yoke screw anyhow - it could be trapped air behind the valve face O-ring. Does it happen on one or two tanks, or everytime regardless of which tank?

But it may not help. Some kits are just a bit slow bleeding off some "pockets" of pressure. Pressure may even build up inside the O-rings making it difficult to loosen the yoke. You might just try repeated purgings and a little patience. Lube if you must but if it picks up and holds sand & dirt, you may just create another obstacle to loosening the yoke.

oxyhacker:
Definately the silicone. While lube from the yoke screw is unlikely to migrate into the reg, it's still a good rule to only use food-safe product on a regulator and avoid "garage" products.

However the problem may not be the yoke screw anyhow - it could be trapped air behind the valve face O-ring. Does it happen on one or two tanks, or everytime regardless of which tank?

Every time oxy.

it may also be that the regulator is being put on too tight to begin with--when you put it on the valve ,just make it finger tight ..Remember that you don't have to make it too tight for when you turn tank on there is 3000 psi holding it there..

Yeh Tamas I hear ya, but will dive boats supply tanks w/din valves if I can't bring my own?

es601:
Yeh Tamas I hear ya, but will dive boats supply tanks w/din valves if I can't bring my own?

Depends where you dive!
And if not the you can always use a din-to-yoke adapter as a temp measure, which essentially turns your DIN into a yoke but the removal is 100% easier. you can use the standard yoke nut or just unscrew the whole reg from the adapter.

rg1225blk.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom