Greasing Yoke thread?????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

oly5050user:
it may also be that the regulator is being put on too tight to begin with--when you put it on the valve ,just make it finger tight ..Remember that you don't have to make it too tight for when you turn tank on there is 3000 psi holding it there..

Thanks oly it makes sense you just gave me a little more faith in the yoke set up. Please don't read that if you don't have faith in yoke set up you must be over tightening:D

When initially putting first stage on the cylinder use only your thumb and first two fingers (I call this three fingers) to tighten the yoke; not all of your fingers.

Another thing to do (but do this very carefully - exactly as described) when you are ready to remove first stage - first turn knob of cylinder al the way off, again only using only three fingers; second, pick up second stage and purge all air; third, keep purge depressed and then just barely loosen yoke knob ( maybe a quarter of a half turn) - relieves pressure buildup if there is still gas remaining in first stage; lastly release purge and continue removing yoke as normal. When doing this action be aware of surrounding environment to be sure not to allow water in your regulators!!!

The first action of only ever using three fingers should resolve almost all issues with difficulty in removing regulators from a cylinder.

es601:
Hey that was too easy, So what do I use like the silicone grease that I use on my camera housing or like the lubriplate that I use on my boat trailer bearings??

That was too tempting...

What you can do:
- unscrew the yoke, and soak it in vinegar for 5-10 minutes - try to avoid putting the plastic in it, not needed. Can use an old toothbrush
- clean the threads on the clamp the same way, but there, be extremely careful not to splash the air intake of the first stage.

once rinsed, just reassemble. Next time you go diving, ask the instructor/staff - hey, would you have some silicone grease to put on these threads ?

will save you the price of the grease, and you'll have the right one !

eric

I appreciate the thread. My threads on my yoke are starting to get a little stiff. I keep my reg very clean, but there still seems to be a little build up on the threads. It doesn't make it hard to get off, but the thread bolt does not turn as freely as it use to. I will try the vinegar treatment (carefully) and silicone grease which I already have. Thanks.....

You can also try to clean the yoke screw with some white vinegar. The acid in the vinegar is good in removing the crud that accumulates in the thread. Use a tooth brush and rinse with water. Then lightly apply some silicone grease. Remember that silicon grease is a crud magnet. It tends to trap dust sand etc. Keep it clean.

But I really like Tamas sugestion Din is the way to go! Beter performance and more secure.
Happy diving!
T

Tamas -

I have DIN regulators and when I travel I bring a DIN-->Yoke adapter with me. Went on 3 trips and had to tear down a "rental" yoke first stage at the LDS because all the tanks they rented were K valves. (before I had the adapter)

Never again!

Finally bought a DiveRite adapter, and now that's an essential part of my kit. I figure when travelling, I'm probably not going to be renting doubles anyway, and I figure that those rare shops that DO rent doubles probably have them in DIN at any rate..

D.

Tamas:
rg1225blk.jpg

Tamas, It is a sweet looking converter.... Wow. I like it.

Yes, the best way to use some vinegar and tooth brush and then, put some silicon grease. But, don't put too much grease. Otherwise, it grabs all dirty stuff in underwater,

Thanks guys I will try it, I never considered that they might be oxidized or dirty because they are practicaly new (17 ow dives and a couple pool dives). I did notice that they squeak a bit when you turn them and that to me means a dry (or oxidized) thread. I have a welding business and all of the 02 regs are marked "DO NOT USE OIL OR GREASE" so I figured I would ask first. I think with O2 and petroleum based products there is a combustion issue but with air tanks and silicone I don't think it is a problem.

In my experience this will happen more often in cold water as the cold water causes some contraction in the yoke.

The most likely scenario is putting a warm reg (sitting in the sun) snuggly on the tank valve and then diving in 40-50 degree water. When you get done, it's often much harder to unscrew the yoke nut. The problem will alleviate on it's own once the yoke warms. Alternatively, be sure not to over tighten it in the first place by having it only finger tight.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom