Great Barrier Reef Fish that are found everywhere

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Arsalan Ahmed

Contributor
Reaction score
The question isn't really specific to the great barrier reef but in general. I've been wondering if there were reef fish that were commonly found around the world as opposed to just at the great barrier reef. While I realize there are trumpetfish everywhere, and even angelfishes, I was looking to get more specific e.g. does the Rock Beauty exist in all the oceans? Would you find a honeycombed cow fish everywhere?

I'm compiling my own database of fish so I can keep track of all this information.

Thank you

Most if not all good fish ID books give the ranges of species. My Caribbean book describes the Rock Beauty as found throughout the region to various degrees, but my tropical Pacific book doesn't list it at all, or anything similar.

You can also get information about species distribution from the database at Reef Environmental Education Foundation (REEF) | Explore. Discover. Make a Difference.. You might consider getting involved in doing fish surveys for them if you're interested in that sort of thing.

Back
Top Bottom