Great diving today on Ambergris Caye

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dogtownmax

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
hope this is a ok place to diver report.

its been raining pretty hard here today, and this week i have only been diving when the sun was out. partially due to being here on my honeymoon and partially due to not realizing how great the diving here is even when its raining. wow, i wish i had bothered to go out in the rain earlier in the trip.

took a 2pm dive to mermaids lair with aqua dives, and the rain was pretty intense as we left the dock. it is getting toward the end of my trip and i am a little more desperate to get more dives in. as it was, the boat only had two other divers on it, so there was plenty of room to gear up, and otherwise get comfortable. the water was pretty calm inside the reef, but got to a nice sized swell outside.

the viz was great, by my northern california standards anyway. at least 70' based on measuring the depth of the boat anchoring buoy to the boat and estimating beyond that. saw lots of the usual stuff, nurse sharks, barracuda, tang, spiral gilled tube worms. the dive took us to the outer edge of the reef drop off. despite the swell at the surface, the conditions were pretty calm at anything under -20' or so.

the rain darkened skies reduced the light to a near twilight level, but there was still plenty to see by. I initially regretted not bringing my dive light, but it wasnt really dark enough to use. getting back in the boat required some care and timing of course.

all in all it was as fun or more than the other dives this week that were in 'perfect' conditions.

im kicking myself for not diving in the rain earlier this week, but as i said, this is more of a honeymoon trip than a diving vacation, so time spent on land is required anyway... :D

I watched your boat go out! It didn't really tempt me today, but then I can go diving whenever I want.....

Sheesh Peter, you're not lugging your gear from Toronto or something! :wink:

No, but it's a long way to carry a heavy gear bag!

How's the weather been in general? I'll be there this monday - I'm the same dogtown. Hangtime with the husband( married two years but didn't get a honeymoon) and getting in those sweet dives.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom