Great White Shark Attack, Central Oregon Coast, USA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In the time it took me to find my post, all you divers out there had things to say about it. It's great to hear your responses. Thanks!

I dived with sharks at the Oregon Coast Aquarium for one year. They certainly have a different way about them - as though they are really sizing you up at times. Up here in Oregon, we don't see many of them in open water - Spiny Dog Fish, Leopards, Blues and Six Gill. Blues are probably the most unpredictable in these waters. (Never have seen a-one of them though.)

Monterey Bay Aquarium has a Great White now, which they must have rescued from some fishing net. They had one about a year ago also, but it got too aggressive and began eating things beside the feed it was offered. They had to turn that one loose. This second one is quite a prize... a bit bigger, and still in captivity last time I looked on their "critter cam." It's only a matter of time however before it starts ripping into the other sharks and fish in the exhibit they're keeping it in.

Thanks again for all the replies. Great story about the GW attacking the seal! Yes - Cannon Beach on the northern Oregon coast has been the site of more than one, GW attack on surfers. We dive the Oregon coast just 20 miles south of that location when the conditions are right, and I always think about GW's just before I splash, but I think a diver would be "lucky" to see one under the water here.

Later....

drbill:
One of the reasons I've never considered taking up surfing (the other being that I have no sense of balance!).
Im going to start trying to learn really soon....cross your fingers

I guess, from underneath, a surfer looks like a seal. Swimming along the bottom I hope that divers don't.

Swimming along the bottom I hope that divers don't.
GWs for the most part ambush from below, bite, relelase and wait for bleed out. I doubt anyone has much to worry about on the bottom, now about that 300 yard surface swim....

Back
Top Bottom