Great White Shark encounter off Catalina island

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Good choice of sound track.

Enjoyed it! I'd like to see a GWS in the wild, but that's a bit rich for my blood. Last year someone posted a video of one showing up during a dive of the wreck of the Duane out of the Florida Keys. It showed up, kept a distance, hovered a few moments surveying the scene, and left.

But a big one circling me cageless? Eh, not really champing at the bit to do that...

Richard.

It is an hypothesis that I have, but I believe it was a bait line used in Guadalupe to attract the great white sharks toward the cage, so people could take pictures. The person in charge to reel back the tuna bait was probably not quick enough, and the shark ate it. Because the line was attached to the boat, the crew had to cut it off. This would explain the 25-30 ft line trailing behind the great white.

I am not a shark expert, but I felt the shark behavior was odd. She was getting too close to the divers for comfort. I believe that if that great white was curious about the divers, it might have something to do about chumming the water with divers blowing bubbles in cages nearby. She did not mind the bubbles. Could the chumming, and the presence of divers, have altered the shark behavior and feeding pattern. Maybe she was hoping for some tuna, and the presence of the divers might have reminded her of that.

Karim, it is fantastic that you guys clear the netting. That is something I would help with, when I have the appropriate training and experience. And thanks for sharing the excellent video!

Karim, it is fantastic that you guys clear the netting. That is something I would help with, when I have the appropriate training and experience. And thanks for sharing the excellent video!

C Dub, anytime. Thank you for enjoying the video. Cheers.

It just might be, but the one in the video had a greater girth.

Back
Top Bottom