Great White Shark's Predatory Behavior Captured By Underwater Drone Video

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kelemvor

Big Fleshy Monster
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Great white shark's predatory behavior captured by underwater drone video

Some awesome video of a great white swimming up behind and later attacking the UUV. It was somewhat disconcerting to see Discovery channel describe "territorial" attacks by a great white (2:09 in the video). I thought great whites pretty much roamed the ocean. If they have staked out a territory which they will defend, that seems like something divers should concern themselves with. Unless these territories are so deep we'll never have to worry or something like that.

Do any actual scientists have any comments on territorial behavior of great white sharks? I'd love to read your thoughts!

Here on Catalina we have gone under the assumption that the local great whites (at least when they are in our area) are somewhat territorial (although those territories may be fairly large). Of course they do roam the ocean far and wide in many cases so we are talking about when they are resident in our region. Anecdotally sightings here seem to be most frequent off the east end (near the sea lion hauling grounds), up by the Isthmus (Sea Fan Grotto out to Ship Rock), on the back side of the West End and around China Point on the windward side. Of course there have been sightings at many places around the island.

The good news is that there hasn't been an authenticated diver fatality due to a great white since 1953 and that was on a commercial diver in murky waters off the northern Channel Islands. For swimmers, surfers, paddleboarders, etc., your mileage may vary!

Great whites appear to have different behavior in different regions and times of the year so the situation here may not be reflected elsewhere.

Really great perspective

Here on Catalina we have gone under the assumption that the local great whites (at least when they are in our area) are somewhat territorial (although those territories may be fairly large). Of course they do roam the ocean far and wide in many cases so we are talking about when they are resident in our region. Anecdotally sightings here seem to be most frequent off the east end (near the sea lion hauling grounds), up by the Isthmus (Sea Fan Grotto out to Ship Rock), on the back side of the West End and around China Point on the windward side. Of course there have been sightings at many places around the island.

The good news is that there hasn't been an authenticated diver fatality due to a great white since 1953 and that was on a commercial diver in murky waters off the northern Channel Islands. For swimmers, surfers, paddleboarders, etc., your mileage may vary!

Great whites appear to have different behavior in different regions and times of the year so the situation here may not be reflected elsewhere.

Just in case you are archiving sightings Dr. Bill, mine was at Long Point about 3 years ago. 14 ft mature and/or pregnant fish. Slowly passed within 30 feet of me, and couldn't have cared less about me, and the 3 other divers behind me, that "bolted" as soon as they saw it. Was amazing. I've been "chasing that experience" on every dive since then.

Back
Top Bottom